Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Expanding the basic oval

Started by Wilso, October 15, 2015, 02:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilso

Hi,
First question, post etc.
My son got a basic oval for his last birthday.
Bachmann E-Z Track - each end made up of 6 x 18in radius curves, and joined by a couple of 9 inch straight tracks. I'm sure the train enthusiasts here can picture it easily.
So for Christmas, I'd like to expand it. I've got AnyRail software trial version. I can't seem to find a combination that will join a concentric track around the outside of this one. Is it possible that the trial version of the software doesn't have all the available parts that will make the connection? Since I mainly shop online, I don't want to waste money buying parts that won't make the appropriate connections (size, angle etc).
Cheers

Len

I used to get asked how to combine two sets all the time when my repair shop was open. To save myself some time, I drew up some basic plans using RR-Track. Here is a basic double loop using two set loops, all 18" radius curves, two left hand switches, two right hand switches, and four 2" straight sections. It works with EZ-Track or Tru-Track:

You'll need a second power supply, and insulated rail joiners between the switches that make up the crossovers, if you plan to operate two trains independently on each loop. Or upgrade to DCC, and locos with decoders in them, to allow operation of multiple locos without doing that.

Also note the 'S' curves going through the crossovers, they can be a problem with long cars. So stick with small locos, and 50' or shorter cars, and you should be fine. You'll want locos around the size of F7's or GP9's, or smaller. Forget big steam and modern "SD-MAC" size diesels.

Edit to add: Note the outer loop is offset slightly from the inner. This is a result of using 'standard' switches while keeping everything within a 4'x8' layout.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Quote from: Wilso on October 15, 2015, 02:44:38 AM
. . . I've got AnyRail software trial version. I can't seem to find a combination that will join a concentric track around the outside of this one. Is it possible that the trial version of the software doesn't have all the available parts that will make the connection? . . .

The trail version of AnyRail has all the Bachmann track available at the time the software was downloaded. If it has been awhile since you obtained AnyRail check for and download updates.

jward

here is another option, based upon an old plan from a 50 year old layout plan book by kalmbach.

this one has eliminated the s curves through the crossovers, added a couple of sidings to drop off and pick up cars, and best of all the outer loop is 22r which will allow you to run larger cars and engines than 18r will.

pm me if you want the anyrail files, wiring recommendations, or a parts list.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Wilso

Thanks everyone. I can see what I was doing wrong now.

Len

I remember that one Jeff, I may even have the same book stashed away somewhere. If you don't have room for a 4ft, or wider, layout, here's one that will fit under a twin bed if it uses head & foot boards to hold up the frame. And no S-curves:

The inner loop uses 15" curves, the outer are 18" radius. So it works best with very short "old time" locos and cars, or small industrial switchers and 40', or smaller, cars.

Note the left end of the inner loop can be used as a yard lead for switching while another train is operating on the outer loop. It's also possible to add "tail" switches to the outer loop that connects to a 1"x6"x4', or longer, extension that can be connected when the layout's not under the bed. Same could be done with the earlier layouts Jeff and I posted.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Wilso

This forum needs. "Like" button. :)