Are the stationary rollers w/o ball bearings good enough for short usage

Started by dalew2004, October 20, 2015, 02:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalew2004

Are the stationary rollers, w/o ball bearings, good enough for short usage such as for painting wheel rims on a locomotive?
Both ball and non ball bearing sets roll and are conductive with the track so why are they sold for "non drive wheels"?
It would seem possible to apply lubricant to the non-ball rollers, if necessary, as well.

Chuck N

Dale

Some people have their engines on a display shelf and run them for hours at a time.

I use the rollers to check out an engine after I have done some work on them.

Be sure to place them on the track so that each pair is oriented in a different direction.  There is power pickup on only one side, at least mine are that way.  The opposite side is insulated.

If you are running your engine via battery, it doesn't matter.

Chuck

dalew2004

So you concur that a ball bearing set isn't really necessary just to run an engine for short periods?

thanks for the reply.
Dale

dalew2004

Thanks to all on the ball vs. non ball stationary rollers.  I have the answers that I needed.
Dale

the Bach-man

Dear Dale,
Please know that the stationary rollers are just that. They are used to hold up non-powered wheels, such as pilot and tender wheels.  The do not turn at all.  If you put powered wheels on them the loco will walk right off!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

dalew2004

Well then,
Now I've been informed that the stationary rollers without (w/o) ball bearings do not rotate at all. 
Why then are they called rollers.  Has there been a misunderstanding with the replies that I have received?

Confused...

Chuck N

So am I.  I just thought that the whole assembly was in a fixed, stationary, location, and the rollers still rolled.

They are called rollers, aren't they?

Chuck

dalew2004

Chuck,
Were  the rollers that you used actually ball bearing rollers or the non ball bearing rollers that I am questioning?

Chuck N

Mine are BB by a different manufacturer.  To be honest, I've never heard of stationary rollers.  I assumed that they rolled and were fixed to a perminant structure.

Chuck

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The ball bearing rollers go under moving wheels- on steam locos, the drivers.
On a K-27, for instance, there are four pairs of drivers.
There are also four pairs of tender wheels that don't move, as well as one pair of lead  truck wheels and one pair of trailing truck wheels. Rather than make you purchase six extra pairs of rollers to support non-moving wheels we manufacture non-moving support rollers (Maybe we should call them non-rollers?) which make it possible to display and/ or test your loco at a substantial savings. Why pay for ball bearings for wheels that don't move?
Have fun,
the Bach-man

Chuck N

Bach-man

I think that "non-rolling support" or something similar would make a lot more sense.

As it is, it is a little confusing.

Chuck