How to remove and replace brake assemblies on g scale steam engines

Started by dan sprung, October 24, 2015, 09:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan sprung

Hello Folks,
I just found a old starter set that I have been searching for now for months, Emmitt circus train #90020. This was sold as new never used or opened and I do believe that was true. However upon receiving and inspecting my new G scale set I found 2 of the engines brake shoe assemblies broken off. I see this part is available from Bachmann parts, but how do you remove and replace this part? If any one has first hand knowledge of this task I would greatly appreciate any info or steps on replacing items as I don't want to brake anything else trying to fix what all ready is broken.
Sincerely,
Dan S.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Dan,

The brake shoes just press fit into the hole on the chassis, and they fall out sometimes.  If they are broken off then you will have to remove the broken part from the hole it fits into. Before you buy replacements check to see if they are really broken off by comparing what you have with the picture in the parts catalog. If the brake shoes have the round tab still on them try pressing them into the hole in the chassis.

Your 90020 Ringmaster set was one of the longest running most popular sets produced by Bachmann. It has been out of production for many years.  Later production runs had an improved mechanism in the locomotive and metal wheels on all the cars.  Other than that there was no change in the outward appearance. There were no changes involving the brake shoes.

Have fun with your set.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

dan sprung

Thanks Bill,
I find asking a few questions before you dig into something you are not sure of comes back several times over. I would have never guessed that these parts were pressed fit only! I really appreciate your knowledge and sharing your experiences as it truely is a pleasure speaking with you as you have helped me several times now with issues I have came across.
Dan.