help needed from those whom own track powered wheel cleaners

Started by kewatin, October 23, 2015, 11:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewatin

thinking of buying a powered wheel cleaner ie woodland scenics model & or trix unit. my main concern is do these units damage or eat the traction tires as most of you know these are little buggers to change out in some cases.my point is yrs back i used to push my traction tired locos off my re railer on to the track and yes i managed to damage a few.i run kato track om my layout and use alcohol swab  pads to clean my track ,which i do get good service out of ,but still pick up dust and lubricants.thats a given. presently i use a a xacto knife tip to clean any buildup,but it is very tedious work.also can you clean rolling stock wheels with either of these units.? any and all comments&experiences will be greatly appreciated before  buying one of these units. thanking you all in advance.
regards&later KEWATIN

Mike C

I've always used a very small flat blade screwdriver or an Xacto blade myself .  I never liked those powered brushes .  I changed out all my car wheels to Fox Valley metal wheelsets too . That cut down on the black gunk a lot .