News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Auto-Train Couples

Started by lirrman, October 31, 2015, 03:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

Recently purchased Bachmann Auto-Train passenger cars and auto box cars.  The dome cars are easily converted to Kadee couples but the box cars are a different story.  The trucks are set back from the car end and the original horn hooks are extra long (McHenry #53 length) with the small round hole and centering spring on one side, standard vintage horn hooks.  McHenrys are too wide to adapt and body mounting won't work on the 70' cars, even on broad turns.  I'm using one of the dome cars as a conversion car with a horn hook on one end to couple with the box cars.  I'm even concerned that I may not even be able to replace the horn hooks if one of the originals break.  I've never seen horn hooks that long except Rivarossi/AHM which install completely different.  Mr. Bach Man, does Bachmann have knuckle couplers that will do the job?  Any other suggestions or do I live with the conversion set-up which is not the end of the world?  Thanks.
LIRRMAN

Bucksco

Sorry but those have been out of production for quite some time and things have moved on coupler-wise. You will have to test your modeling skills and do some modifications to fit a current coupler.

ACY

I have body mounted knuckle couplers with no issue however they require at least 24 inch radius, 22 inch radius doesn't work.

Len

You might be able to use the Kadee #451 Extended Swing Gearbox for those cars. Can be see at:
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page451.htm

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

lirrman

Kadee 451 looks promising.  Looks like it's worth a try.  Thanks.  I'll  practice on a junk car before I play in the real game

lirrman

Wayne:
I appreciate the offer.  The cars already have their original horn hooks and they work.  I was trying to up grade to Kadee knuckle couples.  The previous suggested Kadee 451 swing arm couples may just work.  I'll give them a try but I'll keep you in mind.  Can a Kadee couple be installed on the MDC units you mentioned?  Thanks again.

Walt
LIRRMAN

lirrman

Thanks Wayne:
I have two of the long box cars so I will need 4 of those MDC coupler arms.  I will buy them from you.  Let me know how to handle this.

Walt5139229104
LIRRMAN

Len

Kadee has the instructions for the #451 online: http://www.kadee.com/html/451ins.pdf

This was designed specifically for body mounting on passenger cars and long freight cars. I've used them to go body mount, and get rid of those extra long shank talgo couplers on AHM/Rivarossi passenger cars. They work great.

Len

lirrman

Thanks.  I ordered one pair to see how they will work.  I checked the car bottom and I can remove the horn hooks (and save them) and turn the trucks around to allow space for the Kadees. The trucks coupler insert does not interfere with the operation when they are turned so I won't have to cut the old coupler pocket off.  Sometimes things acutally work they way you want them to.

Walt
LIRRMAN

lirrman

Thank you to all who replied with suggestions. I took Len's suggestion and tried the Kadee 451 couples.  They worked perfectly.  Now that I see how the 451's operate, the suggestion to use MDC/Roundhouse trucks from older passenger cars could also work.  I found two trucks from Athearn heavyweight passenger cars.  The trucks are much too big to use but if you cut off just the coupler arm it can be installed on the car bottom as a swing arm. Drill a small hole thru the arm and attach it to the car bottom with a small bolt & nut. Tight enough to hold the arm in place and loose enough to allow the arm to swing.  A Kadee #5 can then be installed in the coupler pocket.  It will work just like to Kadee #451.  The cut-off arm is about and inch and a half long.  It can be shortened to an inch or so, like the #451, and still provide adequate swing. Unfortunately, this set-up will not allow the arm to recenter itself.  That's what the brakeman is for.  Again, thanks to all.

Len

Glad to hear the 451's worked for your situation. The self centering capability is handy.

Len