Disccussion #4: Bachmann T&F 58807 Donald and 58808 Douglas Motor Problems

Started by Jacob Wilson, November 01, 2015, 02:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob Wilson

Back in January (2015), I bought myself Bachmann Donald and Douglas. Since then though, I have been re-building my layout onto a bigger board as when you have been collection a Thomas & Friends Model Railway since 2005 with products by Hornby and Bachmann, I am sure you agree that your collection grows very quickly, and start needing a bigger layout! Well, it took my about six odd months before I got a chance to run my Donald and Douglas. Douglas ran perfectly, but when I got too Donald's Test Run, I had a problem. He started off running, but kept stopping and starting every few seconds, and he was very judery. I kept Donald running on my layout constantly for about 20 minutes and on the controller, the 'knob' was turned to just after 'quarter too' if the controller knob was a clock. I also live in the UK as well, and there are many people in the UK I know who could repair Locomotives in distress like this, but as this a Locomotive from the Bachmann USA production line, I have a feeling none of them will know what too do. To repair it, if it is repairable.

Can anybody help me please? Should I try and sell this Donald on eBay and buy another one? Has anybody else experienced trouble like this with their Donald and / or Douglas in the past? If so, what did you do?

If anybody has suggestions, please please Reply back in this Discussion, because I am really stuck here with this.

Thank you for reading.

Chaz

Sometimes models might need running a lap or two on the layout to start working a little better, the same thing happens with some of my models too (Toby in particular).  This more than likely seems to be your problem so I would not be too concerned if that's the case. If it gets worse or if the motor burns out then I would suggest contacting the service department.

It might also not be a bad idea to oil Donald as well as maybe clean the wheels and track on your layout.  Give this a try first and if it continues then reach out to the service department.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2015, 02:30:39 AM
Sometimes models might need running a lap or two on the layout to start working a little better, the same thing happens with some of my models too (Toby in particular).  This more than likely seems to be your problem so I would not be too concerned if that's the case. If it gets worse or if the motor burns out then I would suggest contacting the service department.

It might also not be a bad idea to oil Donald as well as maybe clean the wheels and track on your layout.  Give this a try first and if it continues then reach out to the service department.

I gave Donald many laps on my layout. He was running for about 20 minutes and still the performance was no better.

You say contact the Service Departemnet, but is that the Bachmann one?

Chaz

OK, then try the strategy I suggested earlier regarding oiling and cleaning Donald's wheels and maybe cleaning the track too.

And yes I am referring to Bachmann customer service, you can email them here:
service@bachmanntrains.com
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2015, 02:47:26 AM
OK, then try the strategy I suggested earlier regarding oiling and cleaning Donald's wheels and maybe cleaning the track too.

And yes I am referring to Bachmann customer service, you can email them here:
service@bachmanntrains.com

The track is OO Gauge PECO track. At the time I ran him, because I have replaced my board to built myself a bigger Model Railway, I have also replaced all the track and the time of running Donald it all fresh out of the boxes / packets.