News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DDA40X skipping

Started by hucklovesjen4ever@yahoo.c, November 02, 2015, 11:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hucklovesjen4ever@yahoo.c

how do I fix the skipping in my DDA40X it happens when I try to go faster then it starts to skip in sound when that happens it stops moving and sits there skipping or ticking

Bucksco

Sounds  like a gear issue. Best to contact the service department.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

jbrock27

I got the impression huckleberry was reporting it was the sound, not the loco itself, that was doing the "skipping".
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

If the engine just sits there while it makes a "skipping" sound my guess would be that it is an older unit and one of the drive gears has finally given up the ghost.
He made no mention of it being a sound equipped loco.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

bapguy

This is a sound unit? Several problems: dirty track, dirty wheels , or both.  Bad connection(s) on the decoder board, bad wheel wiper contact ,broken wire from the trucks to the decoder , not all wheels making contact with the track. Take the shell off and with an OHM meter check for continuity between the wheels on the trucks, the trucks to the decoder, decoder to motor leads. I solder all the wires to the decoder and toss out those plastic clips. Find a level surface and put the loco on it to make sure all wheels are contacting the surface. What DCC system are you using? Do you have more than one throttle? If so you may have the loco on each throttle. This will cause them to fight each other for control of the loco.   Hope this helps you get started.    Joe

hucklovesjen4ever@yahoo.c

Yes it is a sound unit it is new just out of the box. It runs fine in dc I think I need more power for my nce power cab

rogertra

Quote from: hucklovesjen4ever@yahoo.c on November 04, 2015, 10:46:23 PM
Yes it is a sound unit it is new just out of the box. It runs fine in dc I think I need more power for my nce power cab

Nope.  The NCC powercab is more than powerful enough.

It seems as though you have other issues but I'm not skilled enough to offer much advice other than make sure your track is clean, your wheels are clean and there's nothing trapped in the wheel pickups, like dust and fluff.

Best of luck.

Roger T.

bapguy

If it ran fine on DC it sounds like dirty wheels or track. How many feeder wires do you have to the track? You should have feeder wires to the track every 6' or so. Some will say every rail joint but I think that is over kill. Change CV29 to disable DC or analog.   Joe