News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax Sound addition

Started by brykevbo, November 11, 2015, 02:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brykevbo

Hello, I am new and have a question about the three truck Climax logging engine. I bought a Three Truck Climax on E-Bay, and it runs flawlessly. So to get sound, I ordered a sound decoder  through Mico Mark. The advertised it for the Two Truck Climax, but I figured that the sound should match close enough, if not exact. After waiting for three month or better for the part on back order, it arrived only for me to find that the plug on the sound module is a 22 pin European (NEM 21?) style, and the DCC board in the Climax is the NMRA 8 pin style! My real disappointment was that I talked with a Bachmann Rep at the NMRA train Show in Portland OR this summer, and told him exactly what I was trying to do, and he never said it wouldn't work.   So my real question is...Can I simply use an adapter like is in the Walters Catalog  #745-135 to convert the two mismatches?

Bucksco

The new Climax is different than previous versions. All new Spectrum locos come with a dual mode decoder and speaker installed. The separate sound module is just that - a sound module (not a decoder). It is designed to plug into the existing decoder. You should return this item since it will do you no good on earlier locos. You need to install a complete sound decoder not just the module.There was obviously a misunderstanding at the show - we would not intentionally mislead you.

brykevbo

Thanks for the quick reply Yardmaster. Thanks for clearing that up.  But just to clarify... the conversion adaptor 22 to 8 pin won't work?  Thanks....   Or can I buy the decoder pc board from Bachmann and install it into my three truck version?

Bucksco

It will not work since the piece you have is basically a sound chip that adds on to the existing decoder - it is not a decoder. You may want to check the SoundTraxx website for a decoder to fit the older Climax - something like this: http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/750.php
You also need to install a speaker and baffle. The Climax loco bunker/tender is very small so it may be a difficult install....

brykevbo

Thanks again for the reply. I did forget to say that the Climax I have is a factory DCC version, if that makes a difference. (sorry) And also after further review of the conversion harness in the Walters catalog, it was the wrong item. (for a decoder to NMRA 8 pin plug)   I don't mean to be difficult here, but I am still not sure why a conversion harness wouldn't work from a factory DCC board to the new sound decoder. (If somebody makes such a harness) I guess the DCC PC board in my Climax just isn't configured for this sound module. (?) So the solution is to go with a (Digitrax) sound module and program it to the Climax sound.  Really do appreciate you help on this.

Bucksco

Older models such as the Climax that you have came in two different versions - DCC on Board, DCC Sound on Board. It is not just a matter of plugging in a sound board - that is why we reconfigured the new models to feature a decoder that can have the sound module plugged into it. If you want it to have a "Sound" decoder you must remove the existing motor decoder and replace it with a sound decoder (choose the brand you prefer. I prefer SoundTraxx for the best quality sound).

brykevbo

Ok I understand that. Sorry I'm kinda new to DCC.  So will it be a difficult task to remove the old decoder and install a new one? I mean will the original one just un-plug, or will I have to un-solder it? Is it possible to put in a new PC Decoder board from the current model? So this sound module will then just plug in, or am I going about it the hard way...and should just put in a whole new sound decoder as you suggest. Sorry to be a pain on this.....

Bucksco

Sorry but it is not 'plug and play". It will require removing the original decoder and hardwiring in the new one. Suggest you pick up a book on DCC basics and read up on what is involved in installing a decoder. Here are a couple of tutorials that will give you an idea of what is involved:
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/appnotes/bachmann280.pdf
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/appnotes/bachmann_gp7.pdf

brykevbo

Thanks Yardmaster...I will bone up on the Decoder installs. I really appreciate your help and patents with my questions! I will be returning the sound module to Micro Mark and buying a new decoder. Great forum you have here....I will probably be using it again!  Thanks!
Kevin