News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco Bill and Gears on the 2-6-0

Started by llimhoff, November 08, 2015, 09:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llimhoff

Loco Bill:  Just read your article on replacing the Axle Drive gears.  I just tried to run a Spectrum 2-6-0 Mogul which I bought several years ago.  I put up a ceiling track
and am now ready to run trains.  Unfortunately, the 2-6-0 just hummed and sounded like it was slipping gears.  I had previously completed the lubrication instructions
since it is a new engine.  Turning the engine over, I noticed when I hand rolled the wheels that there was no apparent movement of the "white" gears that I could see.
Could it possibly be that axle gear?  Or is there something else I can try?  I do not want to over oil it so I haven't tried to put more oil in the box.  Any suggestions???
Thanks so much for any help in this matter.

Loco Bill Canelos

llimhoff,

That the locomotive is new is not the problem as much as the age of the locomotive and the related deterioration of the plastic in the gears and the pressure on the plastic gear center which leads to failure.  All this has been much discussed and debated, but the reality is that the problem occurs and must be repaired. 

It is really hard to diagnose gear problems from afar with no photos of the inside of the gearbox.  Most likely it is the axle gear, but there have been a very few cases of other gears being damaged when the owner continues trying to run the locomotive with damaged gears.

The best procedure to follow is to open it up and look at all the gears with special attention to the axle gears.  Usually you can easily see the crack in the gear and notice that the gear is no longer tight on the axle.   Once open you can look at the gears and see what needs replacement and order the necessary parts and then follow the replacement instructions.

Alternatively you could send it to Bachmann for repairs under the warranty procedures.

Many like to buy the NWSL gears as the replacement. I have done this with good success, but the Bachmann replacement gears are fine as well, and I have used them as well with excellent success. 

The Bachmann axle with the gear installed is a bargain at $6 and is still available:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_145&products_id=4833

Once the replacement is done you should get good service out of the mogul, and is is definitely a beauty!  Sorry this problem is temporarily causing you to delay the running of your new layout.   

When you can afford it I also recommend getting a second locomotive, since all things mechanical eventually need repair.   A second locomotive keeps the fun going while one locomotive is down for repairs.

Good luck with your repair.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

llimhoff

Thank you, Loco Bill.  As a new comer to model railroading, it is nice to know that there is good information from good people available.
We do have another engine which is running well so at least we can test our track.  Since I have promised to have the train running for
the holidays, I think I will tackle the mogul repair in Jan.  I will keep all your information available and have downloaded the pictures
for reference.  I will also order the Bachmann axle with the gear installed, sounds easier.
Thanks again for the prompt reply and good information

Loco Bill Canelos

llimhoff,

You are very welcome, and I and many others on this site are always willing to try to help. I am glad you have a spare locomotive to keep you going thru the holidays!!!

The repair instructions look worse than doing the actual repair so just take your time when you do it and give everything a good lubing while it is opened up!!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

llimhoff

You won't believe it, but my repair of the Mogul 2-6-0 is complete!!!!  Repaired according to your able instructions, line by line!!  The Locomotive is running beautifully.
When I opened the gear box, there it was . . . a cracked axel gear . . . just as you predicted.  I am one happy model railroader.  Again thank you for your contributions
to this hobby and this forum.