News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 0-6-0 with smoke and DCC

Started by thewizard, November 08, 2015, 11:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewizard

I was wondering if anyone (calling the Bach man) knows if the DCC equipped USRA 0-6-0 uses the same internal split frame design as the older 0-6-0's, or if they were redesigned to accommodate the decoder and extra wiring.

And if they were, would it be possible to post the exploded parts diagram for it?

jonathan

Wiz,

Yes, the DCC equipped 0-6-0 is the same design as the previous 0-6-0.  Differences:

1) The top of the split frame has been milled to accommodate the decoder. 

2) There is an on/off switch, in the cab, to operate the smoke unit.

3) There are added brush pickups on the drivers to improve electrical contact.

The split frame is still "live". I attached wires to the split frame and ran them back to the tender.  Added current pickups to the wheels and the locos run even better. I have 4 of them.  I removed the smoke unit and put lead in the oil receptacle.  Also added lead in the shell domes.  You can never have enough weight with these little guys.

Search my name and 0-6-0 on the forum.  There are pictures and descriptions of my 0-6-0 projects.

Regards,

Jonathan

thewizard

Jonathan,

That perfectly answers my question. Thank you!

jward

jonathan,

I am curious about those wires you ran back to the tender. since the tender connects to the engine by a hook and slot rather than a drawbar, how do you keep those wires from interfering with the ability of the tender hook to slide in the slot beneath the cab?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

jward,

I drilled a small hole above the area where the hook protrudes from the tender.  So, the wires come out from either side of the slot travel on either side of the hook, then travel above the hook into the tender if that makes sense.  The wires do not interfere with the hook's travel in the slot.

Regards,

Jonathan