Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Scale Discussion Thread

Started by TrainFan97, November 09, 2015, 03:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 10, 2015, 04:08:34 AM
Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 10, 2015, 03:04:27 AM
OK, but I find N Gauge too small and fiddly so Z Gauge is even worse, especially for children. N Gauge and Z Gauge are both silly Gauges to make a Thomas & Friends Model Railway range out of then. Neither of them are child friendly.

I agree that the idea of doing the small railway in Z scale is too small (or in this case HOz), but that's only one of only many flaws I see with the odds with a small railway range.  Though, I think an N scale range would be just fine if Tomix pulled it off while making decent sales in the process.  N scale is a pretty popular size from what I've seen at shows and hobby stores too, both for adults and kids.  I even got my first N scale train set as a kid and me and my dad built an N scale layout together.  I still have my models, buildings, and mountain saved from that layout.  Even some of my friends who used to be in the hobby when they were kids collected N scale too and still have their stuff saved.  

I am 19 years of age, and I can't get used to N Gauge, because I am scared about breaking the delicate parts off the models, and personally I find it difficult to see them too as they are so small. I would never use a scale that is smaller than HO Gauge.

shining time

Quote from: Chaz on November 09, 2015, 08:09:52 PM
While I don't see the Arlesdale engines happening anytime soon or narrow gauge engines in On30, I can definitely see an N scale range happening in the future.  An O gauge range wouldn't be a bad idea either, but Lionel still has the rights for making Thomas in O gauge as far as I'm aware, whereas with Tomix it's really hard to tell at this point since their range is inactive. 

im not sure chaz but you can clarify if im wrong but i think lionel stopped the thomas range after diesel and the ironworks twins so bachmann could potentially obtain the o gauge line for the futre
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

TrainFan97

For N scale, should the engines get metal bodies for added weight?
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

AJW98Productions

Quote from: TrainFan97 on November 10, 2015, 09:04:12 PM
For N scale, should the engines get metal bodies for added weight?
I think it's a good idea, but I'm not entirely sure...did the Tomix Thomas engines have metal bodies? Because from memory they can haul impressive sized trains (seen them in action on YouTube), and I think they have plastic bodies but I'm not entirely sure... ???

~Alex

Chaz

Quote from: AJW98Productions on November 10, 2015, 11:09:13 PM
I think it's a good idea, but I'm not entirely sure...did the Tomix Thomas engines have metal bodies? Because from memory they can haul impressive sized trains (seen them in action on YouTube), and I think they have plastic bodies but I'm not entirely sure... ???

~Alex

All four of the Tomix engines have plastic bodies.  

Quote from: shining time on November 10, 2015, 07:32:06 PM
im not sure chaz but you can clarify if im wrong but i think lionel stopped the thomas range after diesel and the ironworks twins so bachmann could potentially obtain the o gauge line for the futre

Arry and Bert were their last engines they introduced, but after that everything else they did afterwards has ranged to repaints/Lionchief products.  Their range is still selling products from their range, but they haven't made any new products this year.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 11, 2015, 12:55:47 AM

~Alex

Quote from: shining time on November 10, 2015, 07:32:06 PM

Arry and Bert were their last engines they introduced, but after that everything else they did afterwards has ranged to repaints/Lionchief products.  Their range is still selling products from their range, but they haven't made any new products this year.  

Have you got all of the Tomix Thomas & Friends Locomotives then, Chaz?

AJW98Productions

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 11, 2015, 03:56:48 PM
Quote from: Chaz on November 11, 2015, 12:55:47 AM

~Alex

I imagine so, I guess a plus for fans that already have the Tomix Thomas Engines would be that if BACHMANN made their own N Gauge range, they could be used side-by-side, I imagine the scaling would be close, and as always for fans that already have the existing Tomix Thomas Engines, comparisons could be made between the 2 ranges, I think it would be interesting, and I think Tomix stock next to an N gauge BACHMANN stock would look very nice, and fans who already have Tomix stock could jump on the bandwagon quickly, as they would have stock already, so if BACHMANN say, only released TT#1 and TT#2 to start off with, said collectors of former Tomix stock would have wagons to add to their trains early on etc.

Sorry if my thoughts seem a bit jumbled but I hope that train of thought can be easily followed :) ;)

~Alex

Chaz

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 11, 2015, 03:56:48 PM

Yes, I own all four engines and I own most of the rolling stock too.  All of them are in storage and haven't been ran in a long time, but I might take them out at some point when the opportunity comes.

AJW98Productions

That's rather interesting Chaz. :) Which of the Tomix stock are you missing then? And if BACHMANN released Standard Gauge stock in N Gauge would you collect them, do you think?

~Alex

Chaz

The only ones I'm missing are the trucks from starter set which are basically the trucks with logs and sand, which came out in Japan and I started the range with the Tomix Thomas set when it first came to the US. 

And yes, I would definitely pick up Bachmann N Scale Thomas models if they were to happen.  For me personally, an N scale range I'd be really excited for because I own a lot of N scale products and I would need to put a setup together or run the models over at the N scale club, which is right next to where my model railroad club is too conveniently. 

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 12, 2015, 03:26:12 AM
The only ones I'm missing are the trucks from starter set which are basically the trucks with logs and sand, which came out in Japan and I started the range with the Tomix Thomas set when it first came to the US. 

And yes, I would definitely pick up Bachmann N Scale Thomas models if they were to happen.  For me personally, an N scale range I'd be really excited for because I own a lot of N scale products and I would need to put a setup together or run the models over at the N scale club, which is right next to where my model railroad club is too conveniently. 

That sounds very interesting.

JLK2707

Do you think Bachmann will literally start producing Thomas and friends products in n scale?

TrainFan97

I don't know. They obviously need the license first. It would be interesting.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Akodenski

I agree that I would want the Aralesdale engines.

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #28 By Akodenski: So if Bachmann where to produce the Aralesdale Engine's, Bachmann would have to produce them in N Gauge?