News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LED wiring on a LT 4-8-2 headlight

Started by breezy8, November 09, 2015, 03:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breezy8

What is the proper way to wire a 3mm LED to the headlight on a LT MTN 4-8-2 It is now set up and runs on DCC. It has the board in the tender and I added w/ 8 pin plug a Sound traxx ECONOMI DECODER.  after so fiddleing, it runs great. .Now  I need to add a LED headlight...Thanks so much   breezy8

breezy8

I should clarify a bit. Both wires coming from the "light board" are black....which is the "RED" or +, and the other wire would still be the black or -.....I plan on using a 580 ohm resistor, but I need to know the polarity to correctly wire the LED......Thanks again..breezy8

breezy8

I should clarify a bit. Both wires coming from the "light board" are black....which is the "RED" or +, and the other wire would still be the black or -.....I plan on using a 580 ohm resistor, but I need to know the polarity to correctly wire the LED......Thanks again..breezy8

breezy8

Sorry about the double post....the site didn't show that the first had posted....sorry

jbrock27

LEDs have both an anode and cathode "leg" or side to them.  The cathode is the side connected to the larger of the 2 metal portions inside the lens  part. You may have to look with a magnifier to see this in the lens, but the wider plate is the one that connects to the cathode leg.  The other side, the anode, is the leg you want the resistor connected to and your + wire connect to.  Any questions just ask.  Good luck and have fun! :) 

If my words are not enough, here:

http://robotmill.com/2011/01/21/the-led/
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
So just for clarification, the unidentified (plain) leg is the lead to which you solder the resistor, correct?  Also, Breezy; do yourself a favour and install a "golden" (not yellow) LED.  For a headlight, a 580 Ohm might not be as bright as you ultimately would like.
Your locomotive, your cash, your call.

Rich C.

jbrock27

As described and identified above Rich, yes, the anode leg is the one the resistor gets soldered to followed by soldering the + wire to the resistor.
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

I think in order to tell witch one of the black wires coming off the board when they are both colored black can be determined with a volt meter.The meter I  have will show the negative voltage of the circuit if the red lead of the meter is touching it to test.Or you can put the resistor on either black wire then wile powered up touch the legs of the led to the wires and see witch way it lights .Since it will only light one way.Or use some small jumper wires with clips .
Johnny Adam

jbrock27

I like your meter idea; my meter has the same capabilities and that feature is verrrry helpful.  The beauty of a (good) digital meter.  
I may have misunderstood wheezy's question about polarity to be about the LED not the wires on his loco.  I am sorry if that was the case.  

I can also tell wires' polarity at times by where they are coming from, such as one side of the trucks or the other and which way the loco moves (nose forward or backward) when placed on the tracks in relation to which way the directional switch is thrown, in my case, on a DC power pack.
Keep Calm and Carry On