White Pass 4-6-0 Loco minimum radius track?

Started by mekump, November 09, 2015, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mekump

Went to the train show a couple weeks ago and fell in love with the Bachmann White Pass 4-6-0 Loco, tender and 4 passenger cars, so I purchased the set. I need track, but before I buy some, what is the minimum radius track that this loco would run on?

I am an 'O' gauge guy and this is my first 'G' gauge train. Any other helpful info would be appreciated.

Chuck N

The minimum radius is 2', but most of us would recommend a practical minimum radius of 4'.  While the engine will run on the 2' radius curves, it will not be a happy camper.  There will be significant ware and tear on the track, wheels, and gears, if it is run a lot on the tight curves.  Under the Christmas tree is fine.  But if you want a layout to run on a regular basis I'd recommend a wider radius.

In "G" we talk about diameter, while those in smaller scales use radius.  It can be confusing.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi mekump,

Welcome to the world of Large Scale!!!     Lots of folks get hooked just like you did.   This is a great site with lots of helpful members.   As for other helpful info, Since you have four passenger cars, I would consider a power supply larger that the one that usually comes with Bachmann sets.  Something in the neighborhood of 3 amps of better is better.

Bachmann makes two types of track.  The Steel Alloy track is for use indoors only and is only available in 4 foot diameter, while brass track is needed if you will be running outdoors and comes in a variety of diameters.  As Chuck says your large scale locomotives will run better on the wider radius track so even if running indoors brass track is the better option.

Enjoy your new WP&Y train, the detail is great!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mekump

Thank you both very much for the info.

I talked my wife into expanding the train layout this year to a 4' x 11' foot diameter layout. I doubt she would go for a 8' diameter circle, too big. I thought I saw someone selling LGB 5.5' diameter curves. I could probably do that and I suppose the train would run better on that then the 4' diameter track.

So, I am thinking maybe an oval, 5.5' wide and maybe 9' of straight track, which would bring the total length of the layout to approximately 14.5'. Does this sound doable?

What's the longest straight track that I can buy?

3 amp transformer for the locomotive, tender and 4 passenger cars? What do you all recommend for an inexpensive transformer?

Since this will be a Christmas layout, what is recommended to keep the track from separating?

thank you,
Michael

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I got my 1st Bachmann G scale 4-6-0 last year around this time.  I bought an 8' circle of brass track...and have nowhere to really put it without having to move furniture  :o

A couple of hours ago I bought a 5' circle of brass track from an EBay seller.

I hope to be able to design a floor layout that incorporates both 5' and 8' sections (I also have a box of straight brass track).  I still may have to move the dining room table out, but it's only for Christmas so it may not be a problem.  I'm by myself so the only ones who will be over are family and a few friends.

Just make sure you have the room.

BobD.

Chuck N

Michael

If it is just for Christmas, 5' diameter would be better, but 4' would work.  Just not for a long running layout.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

4' low cost Bachmann Steel Alloy Track would be fine for just running at christmas.  Usually plenty of it on EBay!

Have a great holiday season with your train.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

doug c

"...What's the longest straight track that I can buy?."

5 foot !

If I spot a deal on (even used) 5' sections, I'll either point it out to someone else  or buy myself.   

Quite often cut to length required,  tap 'n die,  using AristoCraft joiners with a mm of conductive grease on the joiner lip ('permanent' indoor and outdoor applications) before putting together.

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

mekump

Just wanted to thank everyone for the info.

Update - We ended up with 6' straight (4' & 2') and 5.4' curves. It's a little shorter, but wider, then our 'O' Christmas layout of years past, but I love it.

Michael

Chuck N

Glad it is working and you like it.  That added foot diameter will help a lot.

Chuck