News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP7 locomotive - most silent?

Started by Bloks, November 11, 2015, 09:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloks

Really GP7 locomotive is most silent? Or switcher NW2 are quieter? Maybe another locomotive are better in this case? Maybe somewhat is GP7 owner an can tell real situation?

brokemoto

If you mean the B-mann GP-7, it is quite the quiet locomotive.   It makes less  noise than most.  It does make less noise than does the Kato NW-2, or, the Atlas GP-7, for that matter.

Bloks

But Bachmann NW2 have coreless motor, GP7 only can motor (from item descriptions in Bacmann WebShop) - how you can explain - coreless motor are more noisy?

gatrhumpy

Being quiet is a matter of perception. Coreless motors generally are quieter, but like I said, if you have one that does not run well, it will be louder than a 5 pole motor that isn't tuned right.

Bloks

"matter of perception" - can i hear wheel sounds un track sticks - its can be criteria?

brokemoto

Quote from: Bloks on November 11, 2015, 10:40:45 AMBut Bachmann NW2 have coreless motor

I forgot about the B-mann NW-2.   I have one, but have not run it in some time.

Bloks

Can You test them (Bachmann NV-2) for me? Maybe You can make some little video? (If this locomotive can run - not defective)

gatrhumpy

Quote from: Bloks on November 11, 2015, 04:37:15 PM
"matter of perception" - can i hear wheel sounds un track sticks - its can be criteria?

Generally you don't hear wheel sounds from the wheels unless you have uneven track or the locomotive is going over a switch. The Bachmann GP7 I have also have an MRC 1955 DCC Sound decoder in it, so I can add the sound of rail clack from the speaker if I want to.

Bloks

I want push platform with camera before locomotive - any possible noise need suspend (not add noise).
Some time ago i try build silent pusher from Kato passenger car (with illumination). I mount little motor with propeller (from old Silverlit helicopter). This construction run without noise (wheels noise are higher). But force is low - even few degrees up track  and all stopped ...

Its coreless motor

gatrhumpy

You're going to have some noise with locomotives. No way to avoid it. Not sure what you're asking in the last post, but the Bachmann GP7 is very quiet.

Bloks

Yes, true.
I have some (Kato) locomotives. All have some noise. Best is Kato EMD SD-40. Others are louder.
I dreaming about most silent n scale locomotive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80xrDDIwG5U
something like this - can hear rails and wheels, talking people around, but not hear engines and gears.

gatrhumpy

spookshow

Whether it's a Bachmann GP7, S-4, NW2, or F7, you really can't go wrong. They're all very quiet.

The only Bachmann diesel of recent vintage that I found to be a bit noisy is their RS-3.

Cheers,
-Mark

Bloks

I received GP7 today. Yes, forward run its quieter than my best Kato locomotive (backward - bit louder). Not silent like freight car, but very good!
I like Bachmann DC/DCC decoder - i can use this loco on my analog (DC) layout without any modifications! Out-of-box run great!