News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Issues with new train set

Started by ArchDuke, November 11, 2015, 10:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchDuke

Hello everyone, I'm running in to a little bit of an issue with the Bachmann Yuletide Special I just purchased.  It arrived yesterday from an online retailer, new in the box.  I set it up, pretty simple instructions (but I followed them).  Everything seems to have gone together right, track is level and no issues at the joints that I can see or feel.  I get a light at the speed controller suggesting I'm getting power that far, but I don't get any connection to the loco.  No light, no movement, nada.  I've checked the track over and over, checked the locomotive several times to make sure all the wheels are touching.  I've checked the outlets despite knowing I'm getting power up to the speed controller.  I switched the re-railer around to see if it was an issue with one of the ports/connections, but still nothing.  I've pretty much run out of ideas on what could be causing the issue. 

Just an FYI, this is the first train I've ever owned and I only know what I've read over the last few weeks on this forum and on several other sites while trying to decide what to purchase.  Decided on this as it seemed like a nice set/nice size for my little family.  I thought it would be a good beginner for my little kids as they grow up and since most of my wife's family work for the railroad I thought it would be an interesting hobby for them.  Any insight you can give a newbie is greatly appreciated by me and my oldest who is pretty disappointed right now :)

the Bach-man

Dear Duke,
Does your oval of track have two rerailers? If so. one will not have the power connections.  Look in and make sure you see the two metal tabs.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ArchDuke

Bach-man, thanks for the quick response.  I took a look at it and there's only one re-railer.  There's a port on each side of it, both ports have two metal tabs.  I've tried plugging the red cord into both sides of the re-railer with no luck getting the power to the loco. 

Has anyone had any issues going through Bachmann's customer service with manufacturer issues?  I noticed in the instructions that it said not to go through the retailer, but rather used the Bachmann 800 number, which I'm guessing is where I'll be tomorrow unfortunately.

JerryB

Bachmann's customer service is very good. Try calling them to see if your issue is just a missing part that can be provided through the mail.

However, I would strongly suggest that you contact the retailer first. Most sales outlets have a no-questions return policy where a new in box set is either  missing parts, damaged, or just doesn't work. Same with most credit cards. Resolving this with the dealer should avoid lengthy delays and shipping charges.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Anubis

Have you tried applying power straight from the controller / power source directly to the driving wheels of your locomotive?

Just take the two wires that lead to the track, and with the speed control switched on, hold one of each on either side of the driving wheels  of the inverted locomotive. If the wheels don't turn, there is a problem with the power pick up shoes, or the internal wiring inside the locomotive.

Hope this helps.

John

:)

There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

ArchDuke

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I tried calling Bachmann's customer service number included in my instruction manual.  It said they are open between 8 am and 4 pm ET.  I tried calling at 10:30 PT and got a recording saying to call back within their operating hours of 9 am to 4 pm.  Then it disconnected.  I'm hoping that this is just an issue with maybe only operating Monday - Thursday? 

Anyways, I called the retailer and they explained that Bachmann is a direct to manufacturer company, meaning that I would need to deal with them directly to return or exchange the train set.  They did seem to go out of their way saying they would continue to attempt to get in touch with Bachmann or find out why I can't get through to the company's customer service number, which I'm grateful for since it doesn't appear to be their responsibility.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty poor experience for a first-timer and doesn't show well for Bachmann.  I'm hopeful that I find Bachmann to be receptive and quick to resolve the issue, or that I can figure out what the issue is with the set and resolve it on my own. 

Anubis:  I'll take a look and see if I can try your recommendation.  There's a connector on the end of the line that connects to the prongs on the track re-railer and if I'm going to return or exchange the product I'm pretty leery of doing anything that might void my manufacturer warranty. 

I think I'll try emailing Bachmann at this point and see if I can get a response that way.

A quick question though.  Does anyone think there could be an issue with the re-railer?  Maybe the prongs on the side aren't making contact with the rails to carry the current through from the wire?  Just spitballing.  Again, thank you everyone for taking the time to offer ideas.

Ben

mabloodhound

Ben,
As said before, make sure your locomotive is operating.  You could insert a small piece of wire into each socket on the clip from the controller and touch those to the wheels.  That way you're not damaging anything.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security