News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ready To Run Sets

Started by holman74, November 12, 2015, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holman74

Can the Ready To Run Sets connect with other Ready To Run Sets?  We are thinking about getting two for our son and he wants them to be able to connect together.

R-
Desirae

jbrock27

Assuming your are talking about the same sized (scale) sets yes.  A lot of whether you can, will depend on the type and sometimes make (brand) of track provided in the sets.  Also, what kind of system they run are powered by, DC or DCC, as they are not necessarily compatible, even though with the proper installed equipment in them, you are able to run a DCC loco on DC power.  More info on that available if you would like.
Keep Calm and Carry On

holman74

We are looking at the Bachmann Trains Thoroughbred Ready-to-Run HO Scale Train Sets.  Any information you could provide will be very helpful, as I know nothing about trains.

jbrock27

Now then, is the time to learn.

What do each of the sets you are looking at, have with them in terms of track and power source?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

By connect the sets together   ---  Does your son have in mind running both trains on the same track at the same time and independently control each?  If so,  there is "Cab Control" wiring required or using a DCC system and installing DCC decoders in each locomotive.

holman74

1 SET:  Product Description

Assembly and breakdown of trains in the railway yard is tough work, but this 0-6-0 steam switcher is ready to get the job done. Assemble the consist, clear the yard, and move your freight to the final destination with the Pacific Flyer. This ready-to-run set includes 0-6-0 steam loco and tender with operating headlight, gondola, box car, off-center caboose, body-mounted EZ Mate couplers, 36" circle of snap-fit EZ Track including 11 pieces of curved track and 1 curved plug-in terminal rerailer, power pack and speed control, and illustrated instruction manual.

2ND SET:
Product Description

5-car "HO scale" train - EMD GP40 diesel locomotive (with operating headlight) - Open quad hopper - Gondola - Steel reefer - Off-center caboose Body-mounted E-Z Mate couplers 47" x 38" oval track Sets up in minutes Includes signal bridge, 36 people figures, 24 telephone poles and 48 railroad and street signs Includes power pack, speed controller and plug-in terminal rerailer Plugs into an AC outlet Ages 14+
From the Manufacturer

You will command the rails with our striking Rail Chief set. Complete with miniature people and a signal bridge, this 130-piece set will let you oversee your own detailed railroading empire. This ready-to-run train set includes: EMD GP40 diesel locomotive with operating headlight, open quad hopper car, gondola car, steel reefer car, off-center caboose, 47" x 38" oval of snap-fit E-Z Track, including 12 pieces curved track, 1 piece straight track, and 1 plug-in terminal rerailer, signal bridge, 36 miniature people, 24 telephone poles, 48 railroad and street signs, power pack and speed controller.

jbrock27

What kind of EZ track comes in each set?  Steel track (which is black roadbed) or Nickel Silver (which is gray roadbed).  The nickel silver is better.

(Also see Hunt's question to you)
Keep Calm and Carry On

holman74

Hunt-

"By connect the sets together   ---  Does your son have in mind running both trains on the same track at the same time and independently control each?  If so,  there is "Cab Control" wiring required or using a DCC system and installing DCC decoders in each locomotive."

I am guessing on the same track or one going one way and the other going the other.  He is new to trains and I am not sure if he understands what he means either.  

jbrock27

Quote from: holman74 on November 12, 2015, 12:48:14 PM
I am guessing on the same track or one going one way and the other going the other.

If that is the case, having one loco go one way and another going in another direction, then to Hunt's point that is only possible with a DCC system and locos or a block (Common Rail) system, which is a whole 'nother can of tomatoes.

If the goal is to only run 2 trains hooked together (consisting) in the same direction at the same time, then that is possible with DC power and a good DC power pack.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

Suggest you pin down what is expected. There can be cost and work to make it work you do not anticipate. 

jbrock27

Re: Black track

My advice is to avoid spending the money on the steel track and put the $$ toward the n/s track.  It costs more for the n/s track, but in the end it is worth the cost and everyone will be happier for it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

holman74

Do you have a link to the NS Tracks?

jbrock27

There is no specific link to n/s track; try looking on Amazon, where you found these sets, for sets they might sell with n/s track.  You can also look in the catalog section on this site, not so much for prices but info and ideas.  I can tell you that Athearn sells DC train sets with a good power pack and Bachmann n/s EZ Track included.
Keep Calm and Carry On

holman74

Thank you both for your help.  I really appreciate it.

R-
Desirae