News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lt. Mountain Tender Shell

Started by palallin, November 17, 2015, 09:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

palallin

Mr. Bach Man:

I have just added a Lt. Mountain to my roster.  The previous owner started modifying the lettering by painting out some of the numbers, so I thought it would be a good candidate for a custom lettering job.  But the paint removal resulted in some crazing of the plastic shell and loss of rivets.

I browsed the Parts catalog, and the tender shell for the Lt. Mountain is not listed.  Will this part be reproduced?  If so, do you know when?  If not, is there a chance that the Deptartment might have some odds and ends lying around?  I prefer undec, but I will take anything at this point (can try a different stripping method).

Also, if anyone else out there in the forum might happen to have one lying around, I will gladly pay what you think is fair.

Bucksco

You should contact the service department directly for an answer to your question -
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php
Call the direct number (215) 533-1600 and ask for the service manager.

bapguy

Look at the tender shell from the 2-8-0. The tender looks the same as the one for the light mountain.
I use paint remover from Scale Coat. Isopropyl alcohol will work as well. Wet the lettering you want removed for about a minute and it should come off using a cotton swab. You may have to do it several times.  Joe

palallin

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I am awaiting a return call from the Parts/Repair folks to see if they can scrounge a shell up.  I only need the shell, of course, especially as this tender has a DCC chip in it.

The website doesn't list a body available for the 2-8-0, either, so, even if they are the same, I am still not fixed up.

I appreciate the tips onthe paint removal:  I tried ELO, and it did nothing to the lettering, but it did take the black paint off around it.  I tried another stripper I had, and barely touched the side, and the letering started to lift off, but teh plastic around it began to melt.  My fault, of course, but, whatever paint Bachmann uses for lettering is TOUGH.

electrical whiz kid

There are a number of suppliers of brass express trucks.  I like the brass better because of the trackability as well as the weight; plus the conductivity can be used to advantage.  I got mine from Precision Scale.  That isn't to knock Bachmann's product; it is only to let you know of alternatives. 

Rich C . 

electrical whiz kid

There is a really nice version in the 2-10-2 section of 'parts',  with a raised coal bunker, doghouse, and pretty nice light; but it is sold out.  Had I seen that one a while ago, I would have bought a couple of them.  They are really nice.  In all, I have been very satisfied with both Bachmann parts and RTR locomotives (I like to kit-build freight and pax cars).  In my conversations with parts, I got the idea that they order a "spare parts" batch of parts when they order a model run.  Guess I'll just hold my breath...

Rich C.

palallin

Well, I have ordered the 2-8-0 tender shell--I never did hear back from the parts folks.

I am now experimenting with the old one in getting the lettering off so that I can do so to the engine without screwing it up.  I have tried the isopropyl alcohol, and it goes after the black fairly well, but the lettering resists it valiantly.  It evaporates before the lettering is phased.

I really wish all aspects of these engines were as tough as the lettering!

Any more suggestions?

electrical whiz kid

I have dealt with Bachmann parts before, and sometimes I had found them to be hard to place an order on line.  Now, that may have been something I did or didn't do, but that is neither.....  The best thing to do is to call them during business hours and find out about how you can order as well as what is available.  Once you get set up with the initial "paperwork", I think you won't have much difficulty.  But; talk to them anyways.  They are very nice people.

Rich C.