News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Aristo Craft Flatcar???

Started by Seaboard Air Line Fan, November 18, 2015, 08:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I bought a nice looking Aristo-Craft flat car at a local train show back in September.

Today was the first time I put it behind my other (Bachmann) rolling stock and couldn't keep it on the track.  The couple knuckle has a slightly different design than the Bachmann knuckle and they don't seem to mate very well.

Anyone know of a Bachmann part number for a truck with coupler that I can use to replace the Aristo-Craft assembly?  The Aristo truck is plastic with plastic wheels and all my Bachmann trucks have metal wheels.

Or can the Aristo coupler be modified to work with the Bachmann coupler?

Bob D.

Nathan

Bob,

I have replaced the plastic wheels with Bachmann metal ones and put Bachmann coupler's on them.  This works on most but not all of the Aristo cars I have.

Nathan

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

Getting metal wheels for the Aristo car will be essential to help keep the center of gravity low and improve tracking.  If you want to try a Bachmann truck, here is the part number for the standard Big Hauler Freight Truck: http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=190  

Try one of your existing Bachmann freight trucks on the aristo car, if it works go ahead and buy some.

You can with careful filing modify the Aristo Couplers to work with Bachmann knuckle couplers.  On the Aristo coupler you will notice a little tab sticking out on the bottom. start by filing the tab so that the opening is such that the Bachmann coupler will when closed slide up and down with the Aristo coupler closed.  Keep filing high spots till they slide up and down freely while coupled. I have done it several times, but would not want to do very many times due to the work involved.

Have fun,

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks guys!  I think I'll do as you suggest Bill and see if the Bachmann trucks I have will fit, then order.

BobD.

Chuck N

I agree with Bill about checking the fits of the Bachmann trucks on the Aristo cars.  I have discovered over the years that trucks can be swapped between some manufacters and not others.  The diameter of the post that comes from the car body is too large to fit through the hole on some the trucks.  

I'd just buy the Bachmann metal wheels and exchange those for the plastic ones.

I have a number of AristoCraft cars and because the Aristo couplers don't mate easily with any other coupler manufacturer, I cut the end of the coupler tongue off right behind the coupler, leaving a long clean shank (about 1 3/8" long) on the truck.  Are you running your cars with the lower straight shank couplers, or have you converted to body mounted couplers?

I use body mounted height and screw a USAtrains knuckle coupler to the top of the coupler tongue.  If you are using the lower body mounted height you can attach a Bachmann knuckle coupler to the bottom of the Tongue.  Kadee make truck mounted couplers that attach to the bottom of the tongue.  A straight shaft coupler is #789 (I think) and a step up coupler is #831.

In all likely hood your Aristo trucks are a modern Bettendorf style and 1:29 scale.  Your Bachmann trucks are the older Archbar style trucks and 1:22.5/24 scale.  The difference may not bother you, but they do look different.

Chuck

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Chuck...what you said.

The Bachmann trucks do fit the Aristo bolsters so I ordered a pair.  I did modify the Aristo couplers so they would work, but they're about 1/4" too high, the coupler mount is stepped down to clear the axle.  I could modify that, but it was easier to get new trucks.

I don't mind the archbar trucks, they seem like they fit in the period of all the other rolling stock and Annie I have so all is good!

BobD.

doug c

Unless you have a antique or adjusted Aristo' you have these trucks (?) which will accept the Bachmann metal wheels.    The majority of my single dome aristo tanker fleet  are equipped with the B'mann metal wheels !

http://www.spookshow.net/trucks/bettendorf.jpg

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Loco Bill Canelos

I am always on the lookout for deals on the Bachmann metal wheels, and they seem to fit fine on many of the other brand cars, primarily Aristo, Delton, USA Trains, and LGB. 

Sometimes I can find damaged Bachmann cars at swap meets very cheap and get them just for the wheels and for spare parts.

Happy Thanksgiving railroading!

Bill

armorsmith

Bob,

Additionally, I have a fleet of mixed AristoCraft, LGB, Delton, Bachmann and USAT rolling stock. I have one errant Lionel car as well. With the exception of the Lionel car, all the other cars will use Bachmann metal wheel sets with out additional modification. AristoCraft and USAT couplers can be removed from the tongue of the truck and replaced with the standard Bachmann coupler http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_75&products_id=571. The LGB trucks require modification to the truck, but can be altered to utilize a Bachmann coupler. The Delton cars, along with the lonely Lionel I replaced the trucks and couplers.  From memory, I can for certain say on the Delton cars, but the Lionel was a drop in truck replacement.

For future reference folks, anyone replacing Aristo Craft couplers with any other brand, hold on to the Aristo couplers, they are demanding rediculously high prices on eBay.

Hope my experiences will be of some help to others.

Bob C.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks Bob!

The metal wheels sure make a difference in weight.

I looked at getting the Bachmann couplers but they're showing as sold out.

Bob D.

Loco Bill Canelos

Saw some on Ebay, think they are still active