News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ANALOG???

Started by Seaboard Air Line Fan, November 20, 2015, 11:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I know what analog means in electronics, but what does it mean when associated with the 4-6-0 Annie?  What are the differences between an "Analog Annie" and a "Digital Annie", if there is such a thing?

BobD.

Chuck N

Analog is the traditional track power.  Variable DC voltage from a power supply.  

Chuck

Note added.  While I used analog power for my layout, I do have a remote control unit.  I have a radio controlled unit that is between my power supply and the track.  It is not DCC.  I can stop, start, change speed and direction.  It is a Bridgewerks UR-15.  It controls the voltage and polarity of the electricity going to the track.  I like it because I can control the train from anywhere in the yard and I don't have to put a DCC controller in each engine.

I understand that "G-scale graphics" has a similar type of remote unit.

I have been using analog power on my layouts for over 30 years.  For me I cannot see enough benefits to  going to DCC.  Not to mention the expense of converting 20 plus engines to DCC.  I do have several engines set up for battery/RC.  This is so that I can run on layouts that don't have track power.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks Chuck!

I'm using a laptop computer power supply, hooked to an old Aristo-Craft Train Engineer with handheld remote.

I asked the question because just about all the Ebay sellers have "Analog" in their writeups  ::)

I'm presently using a battery-powered, R/C system from RCS Australia (Tony Walsham) in my eight O-scale steam engines, I will most likely install it in my Bachmann G scale Ten-Wheeler sometime next year.  While I was doing this I converted them all to 2-rail and pulled up my center rail.  So other than having large-flanged wheels they have all the looks of 2-rail engines (Kadees get installed whenever I bought them).

BobD.