Need help in identifying the Bachmann set that I was given

Started by kksi, November 19, 2015, 02:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kksi

Hi

I have a Bachmann train set that was given to me 20 some years ago and has been in storage. The locomotive is approx 19" long and 6 1/2 " high has a # 49 on it and color is silver and red. It has 4 other cars. I have some track and a transformer which Im not sure works. Can anyone help identify what I have and approx worth ?

Chuck N

Is there any lettering on the tender (coal car behind the engine)?  Are the cars freight or passenger and is there any lettering on them?

If there is a name on the tender and or cars what is it?

Chuck

kksi

The coal car has " Atchison Topeka & santa fe and the # 49 on it. Another car , maybe the caboose as " The Rath packing Co. RPRX 608, and another car has the same Atchison Topeka on it and the # 24.  There is also a flat bed yellow car.

Thanks for your help !!!

Hunt

Seem you have a BACHMANN BIG HAULERS RED COMET train set  -  Bachmann Item #90012

For worth -  check what the set is selling for on eBay.   

kksi

yes..that seems to be the one. I am looking to sell so I will try Ebay and maybe Craigs list. Thanks again

Loco Bill Canelos

Kksi,

If you have the box you can check the Product number If it is 90012 It is indeed a Red Comet as Hunt says.  The cars in the set are identified below.   The last record I have of a sale on 90012 was $84.50 (not including  a $32 shipping charge) for one in running order, not working they go for a lot less,  more if sealed in the box and the box is in good shape.  If you go on Ebay Test if first and tell folks up front if it works or not, it will save you a lot of hassle.

90012*   ATSF   Red Comet   1990   Ltd Run   Mixed   49   Ver2   Rath Boxcar RPRX#608   B&O Flat #1525   ATSF Combine #24

Good luck with your sale.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Saber480

I recently purchased one of these train sets, in the box, for 10 dollars. After i got it home i found out that it is missing the track and transformer. I would like to purchase track and transformer for it, can i use any G scale track and transformer or do i need to find the ones that go with this set? Also is this track and transformer available from Bachmann?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Saber480,

Sometimes the track is under a panel on the bottom of the box if you have not yet checked there.  You can use any G Scale Track and Transformer.   If you plan to run the train outside you should buy brass track or other track suitable for outside use.   Train sets like yours came with Track suitable for indoor use only.   It is called steel alloy track. 

The power pack and controller for the set is here:
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=255_459&products_id=3173

Track is here:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=255_467

You will most likely find lower prices at discount mail order retailers such as rldhobbies.com where you can get personal help toll free. Trainworld in New York is also good. There are others as well.

Enjoy your new Train,

Loco Bill

robertm

Reviving an old topic.  I own the same exact model train but missing the transformer.  Would rather not spend $100 on the Bachmann model listed in the link.

Would this one work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-G-Scale-Power-Transformer-Speed-Controller-with-Track-Connector-6609-/182512045629?hash=item2a7e90ce3d:g:324AAOSwol5Y4EYA

Thanks a BUNCH for the help  :)

Loco Bill Canelos

It will work fine and is actually what originally came with the Red Comet set.   

Loco Bill

RkyGriz

Hi. Don't buy that little transformer unless you only intend to run your trains for short periods of time. These particular transformers have a tendency to overheat and shut off after a short period of operation. Try this one instead:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4060-Lionel-Transformer-/122415389328?hash=item1c80869a90:g:hpoAAOSwol5Y1sjI
I have 2 (two) of these particular transformers and have used them for over 12 years to run all of my various G Scale trains for long periods of time  with no problems. They are compatible with all brands of G Scale track.
Take my advise and avoid the little Bachmann transformers as they have proven inadequate for G Scale trains!
Andrew

robertm

Thanks very much.  This power connector would work ok right?  If you have a better rec. please share.

You guys are a huge help!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142311030639?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Loco Bill Canelos

Yes It will work fine.

The small transformers that come with the sets are fine if all you are going to do is run the loco and cars in the set.

Larger transformers are best if you are going to run longer trains and your layout is larger than the set track and has grades.

RkyGriz

Hi Robert. That type of track connection is all that I use now. It's reliable and doesn't pop off the rails like your set connector will. It is an overall excellent choice and the Bachmann made one is just as good as anything available. I have 2 of them and they're great!
Andrew