Controller/transformer for old TT gauge train

Started by Frank :), November 23, 2015, 04:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank :)

I'm fixing up an old train set for my 5 year-old grandson for Christmas and need some help in finding a power controller.  The set is a Tri-Ang TT gauge train --late 1950s, early 1960s.  http://www.tri-angtt.org.uk/setTBX.htm - mine is the T.B. set.

The original came with a plastic battery box with 2 - 6-volt lantern batteries; the ones with the 2 gold springs on the top.  The original is broken and I'd like to stay away from batteries anyway.

I'd like a simple 12 volt electric power controller with forward and backward.  The original battery wires had small pins that connected to the track and show fairly well in the second photo on the webpage referenced above.  The track is a 3' by 2' oval. 

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have  --thanks for your help!!

jward

since it appears that your trains run off the same 12 volts as n scale or ho scale, any ho scale power pack will work. n scale ones may not have enough current capacity to run your trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

A concern -  the motor in that old locomotive may not be able to handle more than a maximum 12V.

The DC power pack you acquire -- it may be necessary to connect resistor(s) in series with one track wire to limit the maximum voltage the locomotive motor can receive.

The Bachmann Power Pack and Speed Controller, Item 44212,  maximum output to the track is around 20V (no load).

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on November 23, 2015, 05:52:34 PM
since it appears that your trains run off the same 12 volts as n scale or ho scale, any ho scale power pack will work. n scale ones may not have enough current capacity to run your trains.

Just a point of info, the newer of the MRC power packs (black plastic case) are meant and sold to have the same pack be used for either HO or N scale.  They are always very good about having the packs specs listed.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

hunt,
no disrespect to you but the "no load" voltage is meaningless. a voltage reading taken under no load conditions will not account for the internal resistance of the power supply, since in an open circuit all voltage is dropped across the open, which is where you are measuring. what is the max v under load? placing a locomotive or lighted car on the track and turning up the power all the way will give a much better indication of the actual max v.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

jward's reply was called to my attention.

I labeled the 20V "no load" in my reply for a reason. jward expounded on only part of the reason.