News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Keystone

Started by japasha, November 15, 2007, 02:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japasha

Mr. Bachmann

Any comment on a train set marked "Keystone" with Bachmann cars, track and power pack? I'd sure like to see the 2-6-2 available under the Bachmann name.

Curmudgeon

I have the brochure in hand.
I also have talked to a friend who was at IHobby and saw them.
While they LOOK like Bachmann, at least the chassis of the cars are die-cast, as is the boiler of the loco.
They are, according to the importer, NOT Bachmann.
J.Lloyd International, Inc. is the importer.
They are located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
I have a phone number if you need it.

TOC

Matthew (OV)

Isn't that the now infamous "Buddy L" revisited?

Matthew (OV)

scottychaos

Found a few links:

http://tinyurl.com/38y3zo

http://www.strawberrycentral.com/en/list/index.cfm?MC=187&C=0&SC=0

And a  few pics from ebay:

yep, its definitely the old Buddy-L stuff repackaged.

For those of you who might not know what the Buddy-L trains are..
they appeared on the market a few years ago and quickly disappeared..
they seem to have some Bachmann parts, perhaps from the same factory in China that makes Bachmann trains..Even though some of the parts (such as drivers) look to be identical to some Bachmann bits, Bachmann seems to have no affiliation with these trains.

The quality is so-so..its not terrible, but its definitely "low-end"..
IMO, the sets aren't worth more than $150, and the 2-6-2 engine alone is worth $75 tops..(personally, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one..if that.)

they can be o.k. starter sets..but if you see a set for more than $200, its not worth it..you can do much better for the price, with other brands that are higher quality. They are probably fine, if the price is right.
I wouldnt say "totally avoid them"..just be aware of the quality (lower-end) and dont pay too much..

What used to the buddy-L trains have just re-appeared as "Keystone"

Scot

Steve Stockham

The design is intriguing but the quality is about 2nd generation Big Hauler standard (Bachmann is currently up to 5th generation and that doesn't include the Annie version!) so you are definitely better off with a true Bachmann and not this knock-off! Still, the 2-6-2 wheel arrangement is intriguing! Hmm.... I think I'll hold off and wait for the 2-8-2 that's going to be here shortly! ;) ;D

Curmudgeon

Be advised these are oddly-scaled items.
Look at the boxcars in the photos, compare to the cab height.
Like the boxcars are right and the cab is HUGE.

Danny Sheehan in Oz

The Heritage 2-6-2 obviously came from the same molds, but the Heritage is a
lot better locomotive, picks us on more wheels including the tender, and has an "interesting" sound system, scales out at about 1:20 I would think.
Unique wheel arrangement, no one else makes a Prairie 2-6-2 to date. ::)

scottychaos

Quote from: Danny Sheehan in Oz on November 16, 2007, 01:48:15 AM
The Heritage 2-6-2 obviously came from the same molds, but the Heritage is a
lot better locomotive, picks us on more wheels including the tender, and has an "interesting" sound system, scales out at about 1:20 I would think.
Unique wheel arrangement, no one else makes a Prairie 2-6-2 to date. ::)

what is the "Heritage 2-6-2"??

Scot

Danny Sheehan in Oz

Scot, as I cannot post photos, I have e-mailed you direct with photos of my Heritage 2-6-2 locomotive.
Obviously the Heritage, Buddy L and Keystone locos are all from the same molds, but with different electrical pick up arrangements.
If you would like to, please post my photos here, for comparision purposes. :)

Loco Bill Canelos

TOC,

You must have been in those dark submarines too long!!  I see a yellow gondola but no boxcars.   The gon sure looks like Bachmann.  diecast  underframes sound interesting, maybe good for bashing.

Cheers & Beers
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Steve Stockham

If you check the links you will see that Keystone actually has six different sets available and some of those have boxcars.

Loco Bill Canelos

Steve,

Actually I did look at both links and saw the boxcar right behind the locomotive in one of the sets, I didn't think they were any different than a Bachmann boxcar behind the Bachmann 4-6-0.  I have a 4-6-0 on a display shelf with the boxcar directly behind.  The boxcar seems to be dwarfed especially behind behind the wood tender. 

As for the TOC I was just having a little fun,  Dave is a great guy and has personally helped me with several projects.  He has kidded me and others about the Submarine guys being better than those other guys like Marines and Army guys like me who were dumb enough to jump out of airplanes.  He one ups us most of the time!!!  I have known him to help new folks even sending free parts to help them out.  They don't come any better than that!!   Having said all that I hope he doesn't read this and let it go to his head!!! ;D ::) ;D

As for the Keystone sets, the diecast frames interest me for possible kitbashing projects, assuming you could get the sets for a cheap price.  The Keystone set prices seemed to be pretty high to me.  I might try one if I see one at 70% off. 

Happy Holidays to all and Happy Railroading!!!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Curmudgeon

We were out running again tonight, and I saw again the difference in 4-6-0 cab height and Bachmann 1:22.5 boxcar.
Looked at the FLYER I HAVE IN HAND THAT SHOWS BOXCAR (and Army set, and Circus set, and Holiday set, etc).
The Holiday set, in particular, shows the height of the boxcar to be about the height of the boiler!