News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Overproduced models

Started by Trainman203, November 28, 2015, 07:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Let's have a little fun and think of some models that have been produced way too often, and need a 5 or 10 year break before being produced again.

I'll start with a few......

The red white and blue "State of Maine" boxcar. The blue and black Boston and Maine  boxcar with the big "BM" on the ride.  The red boxcar with the huge MStL logo.  Anything with a massive 10' diameter Santa Fe logo.  The GG1.  The Big Boy.  The K4.  The NYC Hudson.  Santa Fe red/silver war bonnet F units.

These models, to me, have just been beaten to death.  I know they must sell very well, but......

Anyone have some others?

Desertdweller

Trainman,

You have to remember all these models are new to someone starting out in the hobby.  They all have eye appeal.  If they weren't good sellers, they wouldn't stay in production.

If they didn't sell very well, there would be no reason to produce them.

My first HO locomotive was a Santa Fe F-7 AB in red and silver warbonnet.  I loved it, because it was an iconic design, looked like what a model railroad locomotive was "supposed" to look like, and ran very well.
This was back in 1968.  Santa Fe equipment, both passenger and freight, has always been readily available.
So it was easy to get cars to go with it.

When a lot of manufacturers are selling models of the same prototype, there is a need for someone to bring out something fresh, but they should not abandon proven good sellers.

Les

Trainman203

That's a very good point.  It's easy to forget that we all were new at this once.  I especially remember a very, very orange Great Northern boxcar and a silver Sun-oco tank car in my Lionel train set.

GN.2-6-8-0

And let's not forget the proliferation of the Union Pacific Big Boys,produced by AHM,Bowser,BLI,and MTH. TO SAY nothing of the Brass models made!😂
Rocky Lives

Len

And all those tables full of HO E-units at the train shows.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Train shows are hilarious.  People bring in a box full of a broken up 1980 train set and think it is worthy of the Smithsonian. Then there are the tables full of low end Talgo  truck freight cars missing a wheelset or a coupler, called "rare!" And marked up to 25 bucks. Or the horrible shiny repainted cars with crooked decal jobs called " rare custom work."

The only time I ever go to train shows any more is to help my friend set up and run his LHS booth.

rogertra

I only go to one train show a year, sometimes I miss it as it's the same junk as the previous year.

These days, I only purchase high end models, so I avoid Blue Box and lower quality models, Tyco, older Bochman, AHC, etc.,  etc., so I rarely purchase any new road power and if I do, it must be suitable for 1958.  Colour scheme I don't care about as that's what painted and decals are for.

What I do look for are older steam models, don't care if they run or not, I use them for my scrap line.

After all, I model 1958 and in 1958 steam requiring overhaul or some expensive maintenance was generally shoved onto a spare track at the roundhouse and forgotten about and that's what I like to model, like this one.  Still need the coal bunker cut out and modelled empty but for now, it does the job: -

Cheers

Roger T.

Desertdweller

I like to go to train shows, but I don't expect to find much I can use or want to buy.  Sometimes, though, one can come up with real good buys.

Once, I found a PA-1 ABBA set in actually "like new" condition for a very good price.  Only one A unit was powered, but it alone was worth the price.

Another time, I found a switcher I was looking for in "new old stock" condition.  At the original price!

Dealers sometimes sell new stock that are slow sellers.  This is a good source for hard to find items at a reduced price.

I don't go in expecting to find any real bargains.  But it happens often enough to be worth going.  It is usually worth the price of admission to see the layouts and talk with fellow modelers.

Les

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Desertdweller on November 29, 2015, 04:30:32 PM
I like to go to train shows, but I don't expect to find much I can use or want to buy.  Sometimes, though, one can come up with real good buys.

Once, I found a PA-1 ABBA set in actually "like new" condition for a very good price.  Only one A unit was powered, but it alone was worth the price.

Another time, I found a switcher I was looking for in "new old stock" condition.  At the original price!

Dealers sometimes sell new stock that are slow sellers.  This is a good source for hard to find items at a reduced price.

I don't go in expecting to find any real bargains.  But it happens often enough to be worth going.  It is usually worth the price of admission to see the layouts and talk with fellow modelers.

Les

I got to a show 3-4 times a year(same one just happens 4 times a year) and while I useally never intend to find good deals, last show i found a GREAT deal. Last two of the Roundhouse Overlands for Strasburg RR I needed for my set...only catch was i had to buy all three the guy had to get em at $20 ea......I've paid 45-60 each on eBay and the two I got from Strasburg RR itself.

Now back to topic......the Big Boy has been done to death. infact ANOTHER run is about to be produced.
Lots of steam not done, or has been poorly done/details that can be done.

I give credit to Bachmann, they are trying stuff not done  before, or hasn't been done in a long time....hopefully next year the trend contiunes with stuff like camelbacks, or even an Atlantic.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

electrical whiz kid

I've hobbled my way around many railroad settings.  At some I have been warmly welcomed; At others, like the coal tower at North Cedar Hill, I was "politely"-no, scratch that-TOLD-to 'get the hell off the property!'  All in all it has been a learning process.  I have seen a lot of interesting equipment and structures, and I also carry that to motive power.  I was travelling eastbound by rail once, and went past this factory where a couple of 0-6-0s were still being used-and this was in the sixties!
I have to agree to a large extent about over-doing it with some of the product out there; when-I believe-that more attention and productive effort to be focused upon "new' things.  A lot of reasons for this phenomenon are listed in previous posts here, so I just have mark 'yes' in the box for more stuff, rather than bore you with repetition.  However, staring vacantly back at me from the shelves in front of me are probably 30 or 40 un-built kits of rolling stock, so diversity is not a question for me-just lack of ambition.

Rich C.   

breezy8

I have to agree with you all. A new run of motive power would be nice....Like ALCO STEAM LOCO'S.....4-6-0's, 2-8-0's, 2-6-0's, 2-6-2's.  These are made today, BUT!!!!   NOT  ALCO STEAM....I for one would like to see them again.  Just my  2 cents worth....BREEZY8

Pacific Northern

With Union Pacific rebuilding one of there Big Boy steam engines it is no surprise to see that there will be one if not two runs for this locomotive.

Having a working, moving, real steam engine back on the tracks will lead to lots of these locomotive selling.
Pacific Northern

Trainman203

Breezy post some pictures of the engines you want.  I vote with you ...  I want Alco too ........ my favorite road is the Missouri Pacific, and almost all their  mid to late period steam engines were Alco built.

Trainman203

PN says:  Having a working, moving, real steam engine back on the tracks will lead to lots of these locomotive selling.

PF says:  We have a restored operational T&NO 2-8-2 right here in town, I can hear its 6 chime from my house.  I don't see everyone falling all over each other to offer a model of it.

jward

my overdone models list would include the santa fe style caboose with the cupola on the end. cabooses were largely specific designs distinctive to a particular railroad and related lines. the vast majority of lines used cabooses which looked nothing like the santa fe cars, with center cupola and bay window designs being by far the most common.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA