News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Street car, minimum track radius

Started by norman, December 03, 2015, 12:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norman

Dear Mr. Bachmann:

What is the minimum track radius that the street car can run on? Thinking of building a tabe top layout with very tight radius curves.

Norman

the Bach-man

Dear Norman,
The four wheel street cars will take very tight radii; you'll have to experiment with flex track.
Let us know what you find out!
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Chuck N

Are you asking about the two axle "TROLLEY" or the four axle Peter Witt"STREETCAR?

You might ask your question over on the <mylargescale.com> site. Use the beginners forum.  There are modelers over there who make layouts with tighter curves than 2' radius.  Be sure to be specific on the type of car.

Chuck

There are some additional things consider when using 2' radius and tighter curves.  Just because an engine, trolley, or car will go through that curve, it doesn't mean that it is good to run it through those curves on a regular basis.  There will be a lot of wear on the track from the wheels on the motor block grinding the inside of the rail head.  A friend of mine runs his LGB Stainz all day every day and every couple of years he has to replace the curved track (LGB R1 4'd), because the gauge has increased enough so that the engine falls off the inside rail.  There is also added stress to the gears and motor.  If you have limited space, you might consider a point to point layout.  This could be done with minimal, or no use of curved track.  There are several reversing units available on the market.

Here is a picture of a worn rail head on LGB R1 curved track after several years of heavy use, by an LGB Stainz (2.83" wheel base).  A shorter wheel base might work better.  I don't know the wheel base on the Bachmann Trolley and streetcar.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Norman,

Here is what I have based on advertising and the catalogs. The United Traction Trolley's (also Christmas version) were built to run on the 2 foot radius steel alloy track.  This is also true of the Peter Witt Trolley's.   

I have seen the United Traction trolley's run on tighter flex curves, but unfortunately I don't remember what the actual radius was, but it was less than 2 foot radius.

As stated by others tighter curves do put greater strain on the motor and gears.  Track wear is less for lightweight streetcars through tighter curves, while long heavy trains through very tight curves can cause serious track wear depending on frequency of use. 

Going tighter tighter than the above recommendation will require some experimentation on your part.   Like the Bach-man said if you do try it let us on the forum know how things work out.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Hunt

Quote from: Chuck N on December 04, 2015, 07:35:02 AM
Are you asking about the two axle "TROLLEY" or the four axle Peter Witt"STREETCAR?

. . .

Bachmann uses "Streetcar" for the two axle in their online web store and in print 2015 catalog

United Traction Co. - Open Streetcar

Loco Bill Canelos

Hunt,

Doesn't matter, both the United Traction style and the Peter Witt style are advertised as 2 foot minimum radius (4 foot diameter) curves.   

Whichever he has, Norman will have to experiment with tighter radius below 2 foot and see what works.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

Yes, Bachmann refers to both as street cars.  That was the purpose of my post.  Which one is the OP asking about.  I used trolley to distinguish between the two styles.

Chuck

As to Bill's comment, it might matter on the true minimum radius.  It might depend on the amount of swing there is for the trucks on the Peter Witt since there is no pivoting of the motor block on the 2-axle car.

Hunt

Chuck,
My point - since Bachmann is using Streetcar for both models, the use of trolley rather than streetcar is not a good way to distinguish between the two.