News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ballasting Black EZ track?

Started by KKTrains, December 01, 2015, 02:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
Why is it 'over the top' to solder joints?  I do, and, if nothing else, it, besides Bourbon, helps one sleep at night.
As far as brass goes, brass is a better conductor-which when one comes right down to it, would be a non-issue in this application.  You are right to say that the maintenance factor far outweighs the small difference between brass and nickel silver per the trans-conductance issue.  Nickel is my choice.  For the tap feed, I use #16 stranded-again done neatly.  This wire tends on the bulky side in this instance-but again, my choice.  #18 solid is used, I think, by most.

As far as the height (code#), my choice of weaponry would be code 83, and code 70.  Only my preference, and that is based on only that I like the appearance.  100?  To each his own.
To KKtrains, I would say that quality workmanship and common sense trumps appearance any day.  To me, steel would be right out the door, nickel silver and a good rosin core solder with a tinned iron would be the jumping in place.  Also, make sure you use proper sized rail joiners.   
Much can be said about track-work.  I am not familiar with 'E-Z-TRACK', so I cannot comment on it.  That would sound like Jim's department.  Make sure that your track is square and neat, especially at a joint.

Rich C.

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 03, 2015, 06:58:53 AM
Jim;
Why is it 'over the top' to solder joints? 
Rich C.

If you had read what I wrote Rich you would see I was commenting on the advice to solder every joint and a feeder to every piece of track/every 3 feet, for a small, DC layout.  I solder many, even most sections, but not every.

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 03, 2015, 06:58:53 AM
I am not familiar with 'E-Z-TRACK', so I cannot comment on it.  That would sound like Jim's department.
Rich C.

Not hardly.  Outside of using it around the Christmas tree, I am an Atlas track and switch/turnout guy ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Painted and ballasted EZ track.  The pulpwood rack in the background is on EZ track not yet treated.

jbrock27

Yes of course, but you should include in the description, nickel silver EZ track...
Keep Calm and Carry On

gbradley

re: Trainman23, that was an EXCELLENT IDEA about using the black EZ on dead end spurs.

re:jbrock27, Thank you.... tarnish was the word I was looking for but at the time this old brain could not fish it out.

jbrock27

You're welcome brad :)

And oh, by the by;

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 02, 2015, 01:09:02 PM
...steel track in play, even as a siding which some people relegate steel track to.

Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Steel track;
I relegate it to the nearest dumpster.  No exceptions!
Jim; Your layout; you do what you want.  I would solder every joint; after making them mechanically sound.  Never butt-joint, unless you are going to silver solder.  Too many chances being taken.  Much more better to just sit back with a manhatten, and watch the trains do their thing, than to be trying to find that dead track when the problem is erratic.

Rich C.

Joe323

Actually I just inherited a bunch of steel life like track.  I intend to use it on my static dsplay above my layout.

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 03, 2015, 01:15:35 PM
Steel track;
Rich C.
No argument there, just make sure you tell that to TM203.

Jim; Your layout; you do what you want.
Rich C.

Thanks for the permission slip Rich, I will.  No erratic problems but thanks also for the thought.

You're always mentioning hittin the hard stuff; it has me concerned :'(.

Quote from: Joe323 on December 03, 2015, 07:10:36 PM
Actually I just inherited a bunch of steel life like track.

My condolences.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 03, 2015, 08:14:03 PM
Steel track;
Rich C.
No argument there, just make sure you tell that to TM203.

Jim; Your layout; you do what you want.
Rich C.

Thanks for the permission slip Rich, I will.  No erratic problems but thanks also for the thought.

You're always mentioning hittin the hard stuff; it has me concerned :'(.

Quote from: Joe323 on December 03, 2015, 07:10:36 PM
Actually I just inherited a bunch of steel life like track.

My condolences.

It also came with a bunch of horn hook cars and couple of trainset quality power packs and some old horn hook Bachmann locos I am hoping to save this shells for future projects.

jbrock27

Depending on looks Joe, some may actually turn out to be worthwhile endeavors.
Keep Calm and Carry On