News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reverse loops

Started by a17dl, December 01, 2015, 03:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a17dl

I am building a new layout using Bachmann's Nickel Silver E-Z track and the layout will have two reverse loops. Should I be using two 18" gap tracks within each loop and a 9" power terminal insulated gap track outside of each loop along with two E-Z Command Automatic Reverse Loop Modules [one for each loop]? Also will the E-Z Command Automatic Reverse Loop Module work with other DCC controllers should I decide to use another brand?

bapguy

Both tracks coming of the turnout need BOTH rails isolated. You need a power terminal  for each loop lactated within the loop. You'll also need a power terminal on the point end of each turnout as well. Any DCC auto reverser will work. make sure the loops are longer then the longest train you will run. The train has to be shorter then the distance between the gaps in the rails.  DCC Specialties makes auto reversers that are electronic rather then using relays. It's the OG-AR.  The relays can burn out over time.   Joe

http://www.dccspecialties.com/products/onguard.htm

Flare

I'm running a DCC loop-to-loop layout, but instead of gap tracks I clipped off the four metal joiners leading into the
loop and used plastic insulating rail joiners in their place. (Which are also clipped because one side can't go over what remains of the metal joiners.)

I don't believe Bachmann makes curved gapped tracks (If that's what you meant by 18") But you COULD use a pair of 9" gap tracks within each loop if you don't want to use rerailing terminal tracks, each straight gapped track has two connecting terminals underneath them.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_604_782_783&products_id=2495

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image_additional&pID=2495&pic=2&products_image_large_additional=images/HO_Scale/44597_03.jpg

You can also connect a single reverse loop module to both loops, the system won't care so long as you're only running one train.  ;)

a17dl

Thanks for your replies. One more issue. I am having difficulty in removing the metal rail joiners that come on the Nickel Silver E-Z tracks in order to install the plastic rail joiners. Is there any special way to remove them without damaging the rails? It almost seems like they are on there permanently yet Bachmann sells separate metal rail joiners so I presume the original ones can come off somehow.

Flare

Pliers work quite well, but you need to use a lot of force and sometimes the track gets damaged when the joiner finally gives.

I've pulled a few rails completely off the ties when removing joiners, that's why I clip them off now.

electrical whiz kid

Bapguy;
Why do you say relays will 'burn out over time'?  Pretty much anything has a lifespan to it.  If the proper considerations are given in the design and installation of-oh, by the way, contactors-with regards to voltage, current, frequency of operation, these model railroad systems shouldn't be raising too much hell with components.

A rule in the field would be not to go below 125% of the rated ampacity of a component; same should apply in general.  I have seen guys-who wired their layouts with quad cable (about #26AWG conductors) and are baffled as to why things do not run as they should.  To me, if I have-say- a potential demand for-say-14 amps, I am going to use the next highest size conductors, which would be #12.  But it is your money... 

In a reversing application, the same rating  considerations would apply.

Rich C.

bapguy

Maybe burn out isn't exactly whet happens. Even though DCC voltage is low, some systems put out as much as 10Amps. When the contacts in the relay move, there could be pitting of the contacts or a build up of metal on one side. If the build up gets high enough, the contacts could be welded together. Or the solenoid gets fried. I'm going off personal experience. I had 1 Digitrax and 1 MRC relay style AR's go bad.  My friend had 1 Digitrax  AR go bad as well.  Joe

electrical whiz kid

Joe;
I as well.  In a set of contacts, the line side and the load side are fixed; the movable part is a "bridge" affair that simultaneously connects both.  A relay is built differently, which I why I stay away from relays, except in the control/sensing portion of a circuit.  Let your contactor do the heavy lifting.
Also, in an inductive load where  horsepower rating is a constant, voltage/current are inversely proportional; that is, if you have a 240V. motor load, and you can rewire for 480V; your motor current rating will half itself.  This basically will work for AC and DC alike.
Therefore, if you have a 1/20 horsepower motor, it will draw about .03 Amps at 12 volts.  If you halved that voltage, the current would go up by two times.

Rich C.

bapguy

If I still have my AR-1 or MRC version, I may try and take it apart to see what it looks like inside the relay. If successful I will post photos.    Joe

a17dl

Thanks all for your replies

jbrock27

Quote from: a17dl on December 02, 2015, 09:25:44 PM
I am having difficulty in removing the metal rail joiners that come on the Nickel Silver E-Z tracks in order to install the plastic rail joiners.
That is not unusual and I have run into that myself.  It seems that different lots of track produced vary in how hard or easy it is to remove the joiners.  I have used this method:

http://s792.photobucket.com/user/NarrowmindedRR/media/20121110195709.mp4.html

...which sometimes has worked like a charm and other times, not so much.  For ones that are melded in with the black ties and not easy at the onset to remove, I suggest trimming the plastic spikes where they meet the rail joiner and see if that will free the joiner up for the diagonal cutters. 
Please know, you don't need to have to use Bachmann joiners.  Atlas Code 100 joiners or others n/s Code 100 joiners will work fine.

Quote from: Flare on December 03, 2015, 12:14:37 AM
...sometimes the track gets damaged when the joiner finally gives.  I've pulled a few rails completely off the ties when removing joiners, that's why I clip them off now.

If the rails get bent you can forget it, time to toss it.  So, Flare Gun, after you "clip them" how do you get the remaining part of the joiner off the rail?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 03, 2015, 08:46:47 PM
If the rails get bent you can forget it, time to toss it.  So, Flare Gun, after you "clip them" how do you get the remaining part of the joiner off the rail?

I don't bother, I clip off one side of the plastic insulating joiners instead.  Doesn't bend or pull the rails nor damage the plastic spikes holding them in position.

Works great for my layout.

jbrock27

Quote from: Flare on December 04, 2015, 01:06:11 PM
I don't bother, I clip off one side of the plastic insulating joiners instead.

Pliers work quite well, but you need to use a lot of force and sometimes the track gets damaged when the joiner finally gives.  I've pulled a few rails completely off the ties when removing joiners, that's why I clip them off now.

Ok, you've lost me ???  Looks like in one instance you are stating your clip off the metal rail joiners instead of using pliers to keep from damaging the rails, then you reply about working on insulated rail joiners...?  Help us out here.

Thanks.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 04, 2015, 08:32:19 PM
Quote from: Flare on December 04, 2015, 01:06:11 PM
I don't bother, I clip off one side of the plastic insulating joiners instead.

Pliers work quite well, but you need to use a lot of force and sometimes the track gets damaged when the joiner finally gives.  I've pulled a few rails completely off the ties when removing joiners, that's why I clip them off now.

Ok, you've lost me ???  Looks like in one instance you are stating your clip off the metal rail joiners instead of using pliers to keep from damaging the rails, then you reply about working on insulated rail joiners...?  Help us out here.

Thanks.

I do both: I remove the protruding part of the metal joiner and leave the rest attached to the rail.  I then use a plastic joiner to ensure the two rails don't touch, cutting off one side because the plastic joiner can't go over what remains of the metal one.

I apologize for the confusion.

jbrock27

No apology needed, thanks for clearing it up.  I get it now, so on the insulated rail side, the 2 rails are never joined, just the other side with the metal joiner is joined.  I guess the EZ track snapping together, keeps the unjoined rails from getting out of alignment?
Keep Calm and Carry On