Porter lubrication and maintenance instructions?

Started by Flare, December 01, 2015, 07:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

So I was reading the documentation that came with my new locomotive, and it says the warranty will be voided if I don't lubricate and maintain the thing properly.  However, there were no instructions regarding what kind of oil to use, which parts need it, nor how often to apply the oil.  I didn't see any mention of what else was implied by 'maintenance' either.

I assume On30 needs only 'Light gear oil' and 'Conductive contact lube', right?   Will taking my locomotive apart to access the gears void the warranty?

Is there any other maintenance I should know about?

Hunt

Click Here for a segment taken from a Bachmann On30 video. Adapt and apply the lube info to the Porter.

The other maintenance you need to know about is cleaning the wheels and track. An earlier segment of the video covers this but uses a method I do not recommend.

Use the following --

** Cleaning Wheels**
There are different schools of thought about cleaning wheels the following is one of them.

Hold the locomotive with one hand and slowly turn up the power pack throttle to spin as many wheels at a time as you can (need some wheels in contact with rails to pick up power) on Handi Wipes reusable disposable cloth, lint free cloth, or the like placed across track, which is damp with Isopropyl Alcohol. After all wheels are clean then repeat using dry clean cloth to remove the Isopropyl Alcohol residue.

** Cleaning Track **
A lot of info can be found on "the net" --  just do not clean track with an abrasive product because it can do as much harm as good.

Flare