News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power recommendation

Started by mekump, December 08, 2015, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mekump

New to G gauge, as you may have noticed from my last post.

I've recently set up an oval (11' x 5.4') around the Christmas tree. I am running a 4-6-0 #10 + tender and 4 lighted cars with a '1 amp starter set power supply'. The train doesn't move very fast at WOT. I think the power supply just doesn't have enough amps for this set up. I am considering a 2nd G gauge train for under the tree next year, so that I would be running 2 separate trains (2 tracks). If I did this, would the 'Bridgewerks MS DUAL' be a powerful enough option to run both trains? If so, could I use it on the 1 train this year?

Fell in love with some of the G gauge Christmas trains  ;)

thanks,
Michael

Hunt

Yes, you can use it. It is more than powerful enough. Just be extra careful to avoid short-circuits. With 10 amp output you can weld the wheels to the track.

Chuck N

I've been using Bridgewerks power supplies for many years.  I have a 3, 10, 15 amp units.  I have derailments on occasion and I have never had a wheel welded to the rail.  Every time the circuit breaker has worked as intended.  An unprotected 10 amp power supply could cause a problem.  Bridgewerks power supplies are well built, and made in America.  They are on the upper end of the price scale, but that is all I would buy or recommend.

Chuck

Note added

Depending on your future plans, bigger, better and out doors, if you aren't planning any of those, two 3 amp Bridgewerks power supplies might be more cost effective.

If you have plans for longer trains with multiple engines go for the bigger supply.  I have a train that pull 7 amps: engines, USATRAINS F3AB (2amps each) and 6 USAt streamliners with lights (0.5 amps per car).

To answer your question, yes the dual track controller would easily handle your two trains.  I just went to the Bridgewerks site and the only Two track supply I could find is rated at 15 amps.  Much more than your two planned trains and many more.

Hunt

Quote from: Chuck N on December 08, 2015, 06:55:25 PM

. . .  I just went to the Bridgewerks site and the only Two track supply I could find is rated at 15 amps. . . .

Click Here

mekump

From what I could tell, 2 of the 3 amp units were close in price to the 10 amp unit. So, I ordered the 10 amp unit. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Thank you all for the advice.

Michael