News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Running DCC/DC engines on DC layout

Started by scarpi, December 04, 2015, 09:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarpi

I just want to be sure I'm not damaging my engines so I'd like this question answered. From what I understand Bachmann DC/DCC On30 engines can be run on both DC and DCC layouts without me adjusting anything in the engines. I have two 4-6-0 and one 4-4-0 DC/DCC engines that I have been running on my DC only layout. My layout has two independent mainline tracks with one powered by an MRC Tech II Railmaster 2400 transformer (pulse power set to off) and the other mainline powered by a Tech 3 Model 9000 Power Command transformer (momentum and brake set to off). I understand by reading the literature that came with these engines that they should run fine on this setup and as long as I keep the pulse, momentum, and brake settings off, the engines will not be damaged in any way. Am I correct? Thank you.

Flare

You are correct, the DCC decoders installed in your locos run in 'analog mode' when operated on DC layouts without having to change anything.

Hunt

The dual mode decoder works best in analog mode when using a high quality, electronically regulated power pack, preferably one that supplies smooth, filtered DC power.

If you experience some erratic operation due to the non-smooth DC output of the MRC power packs,  it will not damage the decoder.

scarpi

Thanks guys for the answers. I was pretty sure that's the way they operated but I thought I'd get input from the forum.