News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F3-A Diesel

Started by bwalm, December 04, 2015, 11:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyreading

You need to take the shell off the diesel engine that has the sound unit inside and look for a small adjusting switch or volume pot.(potentiameter) to turn, it looks like you can put a small flat tip screwdriver inside it. If it don't adjust at first you may have to clean the contact area on the switch.

I had one that nearly blew me out of the room and had to turn the volume down.

Lee F.

bluedragon

Thanks, i found the potentiameter and adjusted the sound.... sounds like yuk !!!
Has anyone tried replacing the speaker or know of a replacement speaker that doesnt sound like
sound is  coming through a  shredded piece of paper !! 
Anyone have the specs on the speaker particularly the OHM rating ??

Thanks.

phillyreading

You have to clean the potentiameter's area really good(may have to clean the area 2 or 3 times) or it will sound like garbage. WBB uses a lot of wax or something on the pot. area to keep the contacts from corroding.
The speakers are either 8 ohm or 16 ohm, these are the most common speakers in use for miniature apps.

Lee F.

bluedragon

The Potentiameter is not adjustable by a screwdriver and looks like a donut with a ring around it that can only be adjusted
by pushing on the ring, like pushing on a cog.  Also, it is located low on the sound board which is stood up on its thin end and the screwed into the chassis. Another words, it's difficult to adjust much less trying to somehow clean it. What do you suggest I try to clean it with, Alcohol ??

Thanks.

phillyreading

To clean the potentiameter metal; I use alcohol on a Q-tip and lightly rub the wax off it.
You may need a jeweler's screw driver to adjust the potentiameter, I have used a very small needle nose pliers.
I keep some small tools on hand because I do H.O. race cars and repairs as well as O gauge trains, got hooked on H.O. race cars many years ago.

Lee F.

bluedragon

Thanks, I will give it a try.

671 Here,

Use the "Search" box from the above choices. Type in "Series wiring mod" By Joe Satnik.

His post should come up. It is very detailed on the how to change the WBB Dual motor units from parallel to series wiring.
You will be very pleased with the outcome.

671 ... WHOOOO! WHOOOO!