News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Shay Question

Started by jbwilcox, November 21, 2015, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbwilcox

I am thinking of buying one of these but I would like to know whether the gear issue has been resolved.

I can remember about 10 years ago this same problem affected various Large Scale engines.  I just cannot believe that Bachmann has allowed this problem to continue for so long without some sort of a fix.

Also, does the Porter have the same problem?

Does Bachmann still fixx these engines for free?

jbwilcox

Hello, Mr. Bachmann,

Can you address this question? 

Have the gear issues been solved in the On30 Shay?

Is there any way of telling the latest version of the Shay from the earlier ones that might have been plagued with the gear breakage issue?

the Bach-man

Dear JB,
We do have replacement gears, and will provide them as needed to original owners. Therefore, if you buy a new loco (new old stock) it will be covered under the warranty.
There has been no redesigned Shay.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

jbwilcox

Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to redesign the gears rather than having to replace them every time some break?

jbwilcox

Is it taboo to ask such a question? 

It just seems that fixing the problem in the first place would be much cheaper than having to replace so many broken gears later, besides, what does it do to Bachmann's reputation?  It is no secret that these problems have been around for years.

I will probably get kicked off this forum, but what do you think?

the Bach-man

This is why the loco will not be re-introduced until the issue is resolved.
the Bach-man

Raccoon Creek Lumber Co.

Sorry to disagree with Mr Bachmann, but whist I am sure the company are working hard to redesign the gears in a cost-effective way, so that this beautiful little loco can be returned to the Product Line, the replacement gear sets that I have obtained from the Spares and Repairs Department are clearly different to those fitted originally. The shank on the line shaft bevel gears, which the ones that usually split, are much deeper, with more "meat" on them. I have never heard of a repaired Shay, fitted with the redesigned and stronger bevel gears, ever breaking again, in that area at least.

mst3kenc

I'll add this. I just got (3 weeks ago) a "new" old Shay and the gears are not the same as an earlier one that I have. The box was sealed. The bevel gears are definitely much beefier than the older ones. I have run it about 50+ hours so far with a number of times 6-7 hours straight. No trouble so far.  :)So there has been a change in them. So I'm not sure about the issue, have they been improved? Seem to be.

Ken Trossen

jbwilcox

So I just have to wait for my Shay to  break and then send it off.

Is there any way to get the new gears in advance since they will eventually break?