News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-8-4

Started by PRRThomas11, August 25, 2007, 04:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRThomas11

Jeez I have a lot of questions.

I got the Bachmann Empire builder set a few years ago and from the day I got it the engine does nothing but sputter. Can you help bachmann?
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

GlennW

Not sure how "old" the set may be. Apart from cleaning/relubing & break in, it appears your Bachhmann may go back to the repair shop.

PRRThomas11

Its about three years old.

How would I clean it?
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

GlennW

To clean it, you would take it apart & look for grease & other gunk to clean off. Some guys use a drop of tooth polish on the gears. What you are cleaning is any bits of dried grease/oil in the drivetrain. A drop of new oil/grease should relube it once dried. Check to be sure that the drivetrain moves freely before putting the shell back on. (don't ask how I know that). If possible, give the engine a lap without the shell just to be sure you got everything back where it belongs.

A second point will be to check the wire/power connections from the trucks into the engine just to be sure everything is connected. Any broken wire goes back to Bachmann for repair.

It may be easiest to send the loco back for repair. chances are, you may get a newer loco that has a better drivetrain & contacts. I'd like to see if Bachmann's new tenders could vastly improve pickup from the tender wheels.

skagitcom

I see that Bachmann deletes messages that don't praise their customer support.

Where is the message I posted here last night, Bachman, concerning poor warrantee and customer service on the 4-8-4 Northern and J-Class 4-8-4???

fieromike

Quote from: skagitcom on September 06, 2007, 07:30:18 PM
I see that Bachmann deletes messages that don't praise their customer support.

Where is the message I posted here last night, Bachman, concerning poor warrantee and customer service on the 4-8-4 Northern and J-Class 4-8-4???
I've seen quite a few messages that were less than complimentary about Bachmann in one way or another.  If nothing else, they are smart enough to NOT censor messages on their boards unless they violate basic TOS or decency guidelines.

Mike

trekkie

When my Northern 4-8-4 failed I sent it in with $15 as per the warranty instructions on the website.  Got it a few months later.

I believe that engine has a lifetime warranty, just a $15 charge for postage handling.

James in FL

QuoteTo clean it, you would take it apart & look for grease & other gunk to clean off.

I agree with GlennW

My choice is a product made by "CRC"
Labeled QD (quick dry) Contact Cleaner, p/n 02130.
Leaves no residue and is plastic safe.
Can be had at most any electrical supply or Lowes or Home Depot.
The little red straw is great for blasting off that old stubborn crud.

Remove the shell.
Take it outside.
Holding it in a vertical position, over an old pan or bowl, spray the entire chassis down heavily, from top to bottom, all sides.
Pay particular attention to all contact points and wheels (Drivers) and gears (both truck and worm).
Use it with the red straw attached and blast off all gunk.
Let it drip dry.
After no more liquid drips off the chassis, lay it on a paper towel or newspaper or similar overnight to allow for all condensate to completely dry.

The evaporation of the cleaner is rapid and as it evaporates it will remove the heat within the chassis. This rapid temperature change will form condensation.

Check for any foreign stuff (i.e. pet hair, carpet fuzz, etc.)

Once the chassis is completely dry from cleaner and residual moisture, it can be lubricated.
Lube the bearings (heavy oil). Small drop each.
Lube the worms (Grease if metal, or heavy oil if plastic). Less is more.
Lube the driver axle gears (heavy oil). Small drop each.
Lube the side rods (light oil) wherever they come in contact with each other and at all pivot points (pins). Small drop each.
Running the chassis will distribute the lubrication.

Again, when it comes to lubricating a loco, the rule is just enough rather than excessive.

If you plan to stay in the hobby for any length of time, this loco is a good one to cut your teeth on as far as troubleshooting, disassembly and adjustment/repair.

B’mann has recently updated the chassis in the 4-8-4. (2-3 years ago?)
If yours is not of the split frame type, send it back to the B’mann factory for a replacement.

The old ones do not compare (revamped chassis) to the new ones except for shell detail.

taz-of-boyds

Nice post James thanks! Charles.