News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lumber Mountain RR layout pics

Started by Steve Magee, December 05, 2015, 05:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Magee

It has been sometime since I uploaded a pic or two of my layout, but more can be seen on the local NMRA region layout tour page:

http://www.nmra.org.au/Layout_Tours/Magee/index.html

Cheers all

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Ken Clark

Steve

A nice layout and not overly crowded with to many things to see. like the switchback, may need to add one to my layout one day. Oh and build a fairly large mining complex for it to
serve.

Ken Clark
   GWN

fred lundgren

Really nice layout.
Any lessons learned??
Thanks

ScottyB

On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Steve Magee

Thanks all for the kind comments.

For Fred, a bit of my philosophy behind the layout was in the cover page to the pics, not sure if you saw that, but it is at: http://www.nmra.org.au/Layout_Tours/Magee/indexb.html. Only other comment I would make is to not overfill the layout room. I did this on my previous HO layout in the same space, you had to be part crab to sidle around in it and I could not have friends over to operate the layout. So the middle of the room is free space as the layout plan shows.

I have since developed an operations procedure for the layout which identifies "turns" and ascribes a loco to it. Because it is not a killer layout with hundreds of box cars, it focuses on correct operation of the train and locomotive operation (all locos fitted with sound decoders). It includes badges for everyone to wear to show their task/job (mine is General Overall Director - G.O.D.) but that is my weird sense of humor. :-).  I have a copy of the operations plan, which is bound into folder form for operators to study on the Lumber Mountain RR. It is in Open Office format, so if you want a copy contact me by email and I will send a copy.

Cheers

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

fred lundgren

Thank you.
I read your operation at your web site.
I gather the loads are brought by geared engines to the midway point and the mallets take them to the log pond. Empties are just the reverse.
How to the loads at the log pond get back to the falling area?? By hand or just hauled back?
Nice layout!

Steve Magee

Load transhipment (from log dump track back to falling area) is normally done by me, by hand, using my General Overall Director standing. Can get a bit hectic when both log trains are running and there is a delay for whatever reason on the high line! :-)

Steve Magee