News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

usra 0-6-0 with smoke unit Smokey Mountain

Started by dc, November 16, 2007, 01:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc

I was sent this unit as a replacement to another replacement 0-6-0 that was hesitating badly last year.  Now this one is doing the same thing and screeching when it is moving.  All my other locomotives work fine, so I don't think it's the track.  Any thoughts about causes of the two problems, (something to lub, etc)?

SteamGene

You could try oiling the rods and valve gear (if it has moving valve gear).  You need plastic compatabile light oil - like Labelle's and you need to put ONE DROP on each moving part.  See if that helps.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

japasha

One area that cxauses screeching are the motor bearings. This is especially true of olde open frame motors like the old DC-71. Just a single drop of LaBelle #108 on each motor bearing will do it.  The same for the axle bearings and idler gear.

One thing Gene didn't mention is that the smoke unit, if your locomotive has one, can also be a problem. To access the inside of the 0-6-0, the screw at the rear of the frame must be removed. (That's with the locomotive upside down). Pull up on the cab  bit and then p[ry the boiler shell from the frame. Insert a small screwdriver between the boiler and fram just behind the cylinders.

The axles may be lubricated without disassembly by pullign the wheels side to side to put a drop of lubricant on the axle.

I'm too cheap to pay for a Proto 2000 USRA. These are inexpensive and after a little fiddling run very well. Adding a front coupler isn't very hard. Write me if you want to do that.

SteamGene

I've got two Bachmann USRA 0-6-0s kitbashed with Proto 2000 pony decks, hence operating front couplers.  Easy bash. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"