News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

number of transformers and controllers

Started by billgiannelli, December 08, 2015, 05:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

if I am planning a layout with 2 - 3 separate loops and one end to end auto reversing; I assume I would need separate transformers for power and separate controllers.
do most of you with larger layouts use multiple transformers and controllers?
thanks
Bill

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

billgiannelli

Well, I have DCC. But I am contemplating adding a trolley on a end to end auto reversing track that I have been told should be DC.
Bill

electrical whiz kid

Given the characteristics of DCC, you cannot use a common reversing circuit for a unit using it.
Rich C

Flare

I assume you could get away with a single DCC controller for your main line, you may need a booster depending on how much equipment is running at a time.

You will need to use the DC auto-reversing controller that comes with the auto-reversing starter set for the trolley.

If you're only running one train at a time on the main line, you can wire a single DCC automatic reverse loop module to all three loops, otherwise each loop will need its own module:  http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_274&products_id=1824

billgiannelli

ignoring the auto reverse and the DC need for the moment.....
Can a single DCC controller and power transformer power and control multiple loops that are physically separate?
thanks
Bill

Flare

Quote from: billgiannelli on December 08, 2015, 03:22:14 PM
Can a single DCC controller and power transformer power and control multiple loops that are physically separate?

My DCC controller powers a single train on a loop-to-loop layout with a roughly 30-foot mainline without any fuss, and each loop has its own automatic reverse loop module.

I imagine it could handle a third loop too, but again I'm only running one train at a time.  If your layout struggles to keep up with the power demands you can get a power booster:  http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_274&products_id=1823

billgiannelli

Hi Flare,
I appreciate your response and info, I really do!
But you keep talking about "REVERSE LOOPS" (as you did in one of my other threads)
I am NOT going to do a "REVERSE LOOP".
I did mention, I am sorry to say, I was thinking about "AUTO REVERSE".
But my question is, can one dcc controller control SEPARATE LOOPS, NOT "REVERSE LOOPS".
thank you
Bill

bapguy

Yes. But the loops have to be wired together to the DCC command station/booster. What DCC system are you using?   Joe

billgiannelli

bapguy

That should work fine for both loops. How many locos are you planning on running on both loops? Sound or non sound? I don't know the AMP rating of the Dynamis.   Joe

billgiannelli

I have two sound DCC locomotives. and was thinking of buying a third.
thanks
Bill

brokenrail

Quote from: bapguy on December 08, 2015, 04:29:19 PM
That should work fine for both loops. How many locos are you planning on running on both loops? Sound or non sound? I don't know the AMP rating of the Dynamis.   Joe
2.5 amps for Dynamis

jward

I am not sure if Dynamis can do this, but my digitrax zephyr has the capability to run several trains at one time and can toggle between them by entering the address of the locomotive you want to control. the others will continue to run at whatever speed/direction they were set at. if you want to stop one or more trains, you enter their address and turn the speed control to stop, then enter the next address.

as for wiring, it is as simple as wiring each loop to the dynamis as if it were the only track. a better way would be to use an atlas selector to control power to each loop, one selector will do the job. that way you can cut power to any loop at will.

the dc trolley will need to be powered with a separate dc power pack, which can also be used to control any switches you may have.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

Quote from: jward on December 09, 2015, 12:08:50 AM

I am not sure if Dynamis can do this, but my digitrax zephyr has the capability to run several trains at one time and can toggle between them by entering the address of the locomotive you want to control. the others will continue to run at whatever speed/direction they were set at. if you want to stop one or more trains, you enter their address and turn the speed control to stop, then enter the next address.
. . .

Dynamis is a DCC system, so it has the capability of running several trains simultaneously. While Digitrax Zephyr does, Dynamis does not support running analog locomotive.