News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SKARLOEY IS IN STOCK

Started by InsideTrack, December 09, 2015, 02:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsideTrack

A limited number of Skarloey engines have arrived at your favorite dealers and in our web store, just in time for Christmas. http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_259_972&products_id=5898

We hope he makes your holidays extra merry.

Bachmann Trains

Jacob Wilson

This good news, after the picture if him being released today. Skarloey seems to be too expensive, that is the only issue I have with him. As for the Locomotive, he is perfect with everything!

Thomasfan39

Quote from: InsideTrack on December 09, 2015, 02:48:16 PM
A limited number of Skarloey engines have arrived at your favorite dealers and in our web store, just in time for Christmas. http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_259_972&products_id=5898

We hope he makes your holidays extra merry.

Bachmann Trains
How many?

Chaz

Wow much earlier than what I found out yesterday!  This is great news.  Hoping my shop will have him soon.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Cheeky_ULP

Fingers crossed he makes it to Hobbylinc and then here in time for Christmas!

Chaz

He is in Hobbylinc now and he will be shipping to my area on Friday!

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

This is so exciting!! He looks great! Now, Oliver... ;)
Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but is Skarloey really N scale? I've seen him advertised in a few different ways (HOn, etc.) but never N scale directly. Does he run on N scale track? Is he scaled to Bachmann Thomas so that it looks accurate to the show/real life?
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Chaz

Skarloey is an HOn30 model, or otherwise known as HOe or OO9.  He can run on N scale track but if you want something more accurate Peco makes a more suitable track for HOn30.  Size wise they really got it down compared to a regular Bachmann Thomas, as shown in one of my pictures from NMRA.   

Quote from: Chaz on December 15, 2015, 05:28:20 PM
Skarloey is an HOn30 model, or otherwise known as HOe or OO9.  He can run on N scale track but if you want something more accurate Peco makes a more suitable track for HOn30.  Size wise they really got it down compared to a regular Bachmann Thomas, as shown in one of my pictures from NMRA.   

I feel so stupid but I am still confused...why call it HOn30 instead of N scale? Are they very different?

Flare

HOn30 is HO scale equipment running on N gauge track.

Track made specifically for HOn30 has larger ties spaced further apart than N scale track to look more realistic.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Flare on December 15, 2015, 05:49:20 PM
HOn30 is HO scale equipment running on N gauge track.

Track made specifically for HOn30 has larger ties spaced further apart than N scale track to look more realistic.

I do believe that the Bachmann Thomas & Friends Narrow Gauge Locomotives and Rolling Stock will be smaller in height and width than we all think to fit on the HOn30 track, so as Bachmann states with the information in this new range, N Gauge track is going to be needed and the most suitable size looking track for this range.

Chaz

HOn30 track is the same size as N scale track, the only difference as Flare pointed out is the spacing and size in the ties on the tracks.  The reason why Bachmann says that they are "HO models that run on N scale track" is because this seems easier for the general public to become more familiar with since sadly not as many people are familiar with HOn30.  Plus N scale track is a lot more cheap and easier for Bachmann to provide to fans who want to start their own narrow gauge line.

Quote from: Chaz on December 15, 2015, 06:29:00 PM
HOn30 track is the same size as N scale track, the only difference as Flare pointed out is the spacing and size in the ties on the tracks.  The reason why Bachmann says that they are "HO models that run on N scale track" is because this seems easier for the general public to become more familiar with since sadly not as many people are familiar with HOn30.  Plus N scale track is a lot more cheap and easier for Bachmann to provide to fans who want to start their own narrow gauge line.
The whole "HO on N scale" really freaked me out when they were announced to be honest. I thought they were like the large-scale models used in the TV Series-- not truly "narrow gauge" as it were. Luckily I was quite a bit off the mark.  ;)

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: RyanGNR on December 15, 2015, 06:32:17 PM
Quote from: Chaz on December 15, 2015, 06:29:00 PM
The whole "HO on N scale" really freaked me out when they were announced to be honest. I thought they were like the large-scale models used in the TV Series-- not truly "narrow gauge" as it were. Luckily I was quite a bit off the mark.  ;)

I would be un-happy if there where released as Large Gauge products, because then they would bigger than the HO range, which would be silly and pointless getting them.

uscgtanker

lets clear up the scale difference a little more.
Hon30 is American 30" narrow gauge and really close to 2' narrow gauge.
In England OO is there scale for standard and OO9 is the OO scale on 9mm track. 2' narrow gauge in england is most seen in wales, the best know are the Talyllyn, Ffestiniog, The Vale of Rheidol, The Snowdon mountain and the Welsh Highland railways. Australia has there own little narrow gauge line called the Puffing Billy, you can find 2' narrow gauge lines all over the world based upon the the welsh slate lines. Maine had there own share of 2' lines the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes.

But in HO or OO scales the difference is so small between track gauges that it would be incredibly hard to replicate. There is another type of narrow gauge called HOn3 for 3' gauge. The lines that this would be based off are the Rio Grand, Colorado & Southern, White pass and Yukon and the East Broad Top. This scale has it's own size track that is smaller the HO but larger then N.

Whats nice with this scale it allows you to have a small N scale RR with HO scenery that you can see the details, and not take up so much space that ether you don't have or your wife won't let you take up.