News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Oliver?

Started by Chloe Amy, December 08, 2015, 06:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on December 09, 2015, 05:35:12 PM
Jacob, I gotta be honest with you but I disagree with you completely on something.  

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 09, 2015, 12:58:27 PM
The Hornby Thomas & Friends Locomotives look better too me, as Hornby add more detail than Bachmann do, so I know the Hornby Oliver will be better than the Bachmann Oliver.

This may be your personal preference, but the thing is, just because the Hornby Oliver has those details you keep bringing up that doesn't make it better or worse than the Bachmann model.  You don't even know what the Bachmann Oliver looks like, (nobody does) so why are you already claiming that the Hornby model is better?  If you have your own taste that's perfectly fine, but what is not sitting down well on my end is you are claiming that you know that the Hornby model is better than the Bachmann model with no evidence to support this claim because there is no photo of the Bachmann model.

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 09, 2015, 12:58:27 PM
The Hornby Thomas & Friends range is a bit more grown as extra detail like seperate handrails are fitted too most of the Locomotives and no leaded paint is used, unlike the Bachmann Thomas & Friends range.

How exactly is Hornby "more grown" than Bachmann?  When I last checked both ranges have produced a decent number of models, Hornby probably produced more but this is because they have been in production for longer and it doesn't take them very long to make their models compared to Bachmann who has to start from scratch.  

I am not saying that Hornby is a bad range by any means but I honestly don't think it's fair to compare both of the ranges like this.  Whether it's the paint they use or the lack of detail that is added to the models, this is how they look on the show and Bachmann have done a great job of making the characters look like as they do on the show.  Both ranges have their strengths and weaknesses but I think both ranges are doing a great job at getting people in the hobby.

I know that, by that nobody knows what Bachmann Oilver will look like yet, but from inspections of the detail of Bachmann's other Thomas & Friends Locmotives, I have instinct that the Bachmann Oliver will not be as good as the Hornby one. I may be wrong though. I might like the Bachmann Oliver more than the Hornby one, but just as a first thoughts observation from the past Bachmann Thomas & Friends Locomotive releases, I do not think it will be as good as Hornby Oliver.

When I meant that the Hornby Thomas & Friends range is more "grown-up", I meant it the way that detail like seperate handrails and sprung buffers (Like you find on Hornby Diesel D7101, Hornby Flying Scotsman (Thomas), Hornby Spencer and Hornby Murdoch), they just feel too me like they are for older people rather than for a child as they have more delicate parts on them, that could be broken easily with smaller hands.

I agree that the Bachmann and Hornby Thomas & Friends ranges both have strengths and weaknesses, but I still prefer the Hornby range to the Bachmann one. I do not mean any offence to anybody saying this, lack of detail Bachmann do not add like seperate handrails and / or sprung buffers annoys me, and gives me the impression that the product has been designed and built for use by younger people rather older people. I prefer more detail to be added and then I am willing to sound more money on the Locomotives with more detail, are worth more money, in my opinion.

Chaz

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 09, 2015, 05:50:44 PM
When I meant that the Hornby Thomas & Friends range is more "grown-up", I meant it the way that detail like seperate handrails and sprung buffers (Like you find on Hornby Diesel D7101, Hornby Flying Scotsman (Thomas), Hornby Spencer and Hornby Murdoch), they just feel too me like they are for older people rather than for a child as they have more delicate parts on them, that could be broken easily with smaller hands.

I guess when you didn't put "grown-up" in your post, I assumed that you meant something like development or production number, my mistake.  Yes, I agree with you that the Bachmann models are a lot less delicate in that regard compared to Hornby, and Bachmann models are a lot more "child-friendly" compared to Hornby.  Some of my Hornby models have missing parts too, and the ones I still have are still kept in storage since I found myself running my Bachmann models a lot more as I got older. 

And I understand completely about wanting more detailed models, since there are a few non-Thomas models I also own that are a lot more expensive and come with sound/DCC, so I can't argue with you on that one.  At the end of the day, the models someone picks out all come down to preference for what the modeler wants, and nothing more or less then that.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on December 09, 2015, 06:05:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 09, 2015, 05:50:44 PM

I guess when you didn't put "grown-up" in your post, I assumed that you meant something like development or production number, my mistake.  Yes, I agree with you that the Bachmann models are a lot less delicate in that regard compared to Hornby, and Bachmann models are a lot more "child-friendly" compared to Hornby.  Some of my Hornby models have missing parts too, and the ones I still have are still kept in storage since I found myself running my Bachmann models a lot more as I got older.  

And I understand completely about wanting more detailed models, since there are a few non-Thomas models I also own that are a lot more expensive and come with sound/DCC, so I can't argue with you on that one.  At the end of the day, the models someone picks out all come down to preference for what the modeler wants, and nothing more or less then that.

That's what I meant to put that the Bachmann Thomas & Friends Locomotives are more child-friendly than the Hornby ones.

Which Hornby Thomas & Friends Locomotives do you have, Chaz?

I can't argue with you there either. All models are determined to what the modeller wants and preferes.

Chaz

The ones I still have are Thomas, Percy, Duck, James, Gordon, Diesel, Henry, and Toby.  I used to have some of the other ones (some include Edward, Oliver, and Stepney) but I sold them on eBay or to friends of mine who wanted them for their own personal projects. 

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on December 09, 2015, 06:18:51 PM
The ones I still have are Thomas, Percy, Duck, James, Gordon, Diesel, Henry, and Toby.  I used to have some of the other ones (some include Edward, Oliver, and Stepney) but I sold them on eBay or to friends of mine who wanted them for their own personal projects.  

Why did you sell Oliver and Stepney for? Those are two of the best Thomas & Friends Locomotives Hornby produced. Doing this means you do not own the those Locomotives in Model Railway form (Ex-cluding the new up-coming release of Bachmann Oliver).

Chaz

That was part of the reason why I sold the Hornby Oliver model since the Bachmann model, but my reasons were also for needing the money for something outside of the hobby that I wish to keep private. 

I do have most of my rolling stock still saved, and I even picked up the old Hornby Duck train set that came out in the 80s about 10 years ago.  I still have the original box it came in too. 

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on December 09, 2015, 06:35:48 PM
That was part of the reason why I sold the Hornby Oliver model since the Bachmann model, but my reasons were also for needing the money for something outside of the hobby that I wish to keep private.  

I do have most of my rolling stock still saved, and I even picked up the old Hornby Duck train set that came out in the 80s about 10 years ago.  I still have the original box it came in too.  

So you sold your Hornby Oliver recently then? I wouldn't do that until I know what the Bachman Oliver looks like, then I would decide which one I would want.

That Hornby Duck Train Set is very rare, especially with the box. I recently (Well back in October 2015), picked a Hornby R306 Breakdown Crane from the 1980's on eBay, with the outer box, and the two polystyrene trays. This Breakdown Crane is also rare, especially with the box, along with the 4 jacks and the funnel! The Breakdown Crane is complete and un-used looking as it was an un-wanted present that has been sat in a cupboard un-touched for about 23 years, according to the seller that is, anyway!