Bachmann Thomas & Friends 77018 Mail Car - Green Now in Stock!

Started by Jacob Wilson, December 10, 2015, 08:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob Wilson

I have just noticed that Bachmann Trains has had 77018 Mail Car - Green arrive in stock today. I look forward to getting it.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_259_262&products_id=5906/.

Please share your thoughts on this new release!

JD417

I wouldve been much happier with the cream and red coloured mail car.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/3/30/DayoftheDiesels93.png/revision/latest?cb=20150405212732

Despite not being the exact same thing, it seems the only difference is that the vents on the ends of the van are at the bottom instead of the top, I'm sure that's something that could easily be overlooked.
I'd even prefer the blue version of that same van, which seems to be popping up a lot as of recently.

This release honestly seems really lazy, especially compared to how they pulled off Skarloey, and it appears they just wanted to add another rolling stock piece which would require minimal effort to do.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: JD417 on December 10, 2015, 10:20:45 AM
I wouldve been much happier with the cream and red coloured mail car.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/3/30/DayoftheDiesels93.png/revision/latest?cb=20150405212732

Despite not being the exact same thing, it seems the only difference is that the vents on the ends of the van are at the bottom instead of the top, I'm sure that's something that could easily be overlooked.
I'd even prefer the blue version of that same van, which seems to be popping up a lot as of recently.

This release honestly seems really lazy, especially compared to how they pulled off Skarloey, and it appears they just wanted to add another rolling stock piece which would require minimal effort to do.

I don't find this is that bad. Some more of these released in the future in different colours would be alright for me. I would be happy with more of them in different colours.

DinoNTrains

Frankly, I'm glad they have this piece of rolling stock. For one thing, no one would have to either customize a regular mail car or buy a utility wagon elsewhere. Plus, if I obtain one, I'm totally going to use it for a Flying Kipper van.

But I will note how it's green. Bachmann seems to like green rolling stock (Troublesome Trucks #3 and #4, anyone?) ;)
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: DinoNTrains on December 10, 2015, 10:39:51 AM
Frankly, I'm glad they have this piece of rolling stock. For one thing, no one would have to either customize a regular mail car or buy a utility wagon elsewhere. Plus, if I obtain one, I'm totally going to use it for a Flying Kipper van.

But I will note how it's green. Bachmann seems to like green rolling stock (Troublesome Trucks #3 and #4, anyone?) ;)

More Utility Wagons is what I want.

I have noticed that actually. Maybe a cream one would be better, as you see them more often. I can only ever remember seeing a Green Utlity Wagon only once in Series 4 Episode Steam Roller.

AJW98Productions

That last point is a connection I have been trying to make, but never did until you mentioned it, good pick up DinoNTrains :) for me at least it seems like a good "Flying Kipper...esque" wagon, albeit if I were to use it I'd love to weather it down a bit for Flying Kipper use, but honestly I think it forms a good utility wagon too, so if I get one I think I'll leave it untouched...or at least my first one untouched. If I get more I would like to turn them into CCT vans fit for use on "The Flying Kipper". But hey, that's just me :)
~Alex

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 10, 2015, 10:44:13 AM

That last point is a connection I have been trying to make, but never did until you mentioned it, good pick up DinoNTrains :) for me at least it seems like a good "Flying Kipper...esque" wagon, albeit if I were to use it I'd love to weather it down a bit for Flying Kipper use, but honestly I think it forms a good utility wagon too, so if I get one I think I'll leave it untouched...or at least my first one untouched. If I get more I would like to turn them into CCT vans fit for use on "The Flying Kipper". But hey, that's just me :)
~Alex

I think these Green Mail Coaches are fine how they are. Just the name is off putting being called a Mail Coach as the mail colour is red, not green! Who has ever seen Green Mail Van? I haven't! It should to be called a Utility Wagon, as in all honestly, that is what it is.

Chaz

JD417 pretty much hit the nail with the hammer by stating exactly what this is, a piece of rolling stock that takes minimal work for Bachmann to do.  This is pretty much what they were going for when they decided to produce this, it was never intentionally based off anything on the show.  It's really hard for me to say anything more than that to be completely honest.  I know some people plan on using this as a utility van or a flying kipper van, but if I were to add something like that in my collection I would look into an alternative which would be something along the lines of an actual CCT van. 

The green mail car is by no means bad, it's just not something I've ever had an interest in picking up when it was announced, but I think it will be satisfactory for anyone who plans on picking one of these up. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on December 10, 2015, 03:09:00 PM
JD417 pretty much hit the nail with the hammer by stating exactly what this is, a piece of rolling stock that takes minimal work for Bachmann to do.  This is pretty much what they were going for when they decided to produce this, it was never intentionally based off anything on the show.  It's really hard for me to say anything more than that to be completely honest.  I know some people plan on using this as a utility van or a flying kipper van, but if I were to add something like that in my collection I would look into an alternative which would be something along the lines of an actual CCT van. 

The green mail car is by no means bad, it's just not something I've ever had an interest in picking up when it was announced, but I think it will be satisfactory for anyone who plans on picking one of these up. 

I do know that JD417 hit on the head saying it is a an release of a new product and a repainted verson of 76040 Mail Car - Red. That what it is.

What does a CCT Van do though? What sort of goods does it carry?

I will be getting x2 of these.

Titanic5972

A CCT (Covered Carriage Truck) is basically a bigger van to carry more parcels and packages under cover. 

Cheeky_ULP

Bachmann UK makes the (ex) Southern Railway CCT vans that are more accurate to the CCTs that appeared in the show. The Bachmann Sodor Mail Car tooling is based on a warped version of a CCT designed as an updated Sodor Mail Car by the model film crew for Magic Railroad, and was used in Season 6+. The main notice-able difference is the height and shape of the roof.

You can also find an old Dapol CCT on eBay at a lesser value usually.

Just a personal recommendation.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Titanic5972 on December 10, 2015, 10:11:33 PM
A CCT (Covered Carriage Truck) is basically a bigger van to carry more parcels and packages under cover. 

Why would it carry more parcels and packages undercover?

Quote from: Sparks on December 10, 2015, 11:32:05 PM

Bachmann UK makes the (ex) Southern Railway CCT vans that are more accurate to the CCTs that appeared in the show. The Bachmann Sodor Mail Car tooling is based on a warped version of a CCT designed as an updated Sodor Mail Car by the model film crew for Magic Railroad, and was used in Season 6+. The main notice-able difference is the height and shape of the roof.

You can also find an old Dapol CCT on eBay at a lesser value usually.

Just a personal recommendation.

I can see the similarities and differences to the Sodor Mail Coach / Utility Wagon's from the Thomas & Friends TV Series to the real life CCT Van.

ilovetrains323

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 10, 2015, 10:44:08 AM
I have noticed that actually. Maybe a cream one would be better, as you see them more often. I can only ever remember seeing a Green Utlity Wagon only once in Series 4 Episode Steam Roller.

Actually, The van in question was just a normal CCT van. Main reason being, It's not green.. and it's not a mail van  So the green mail car has never appeared in the show.
"Duck still wonders about the lands beyond the horizon, but he enjoys being with friends most of all and I think he knows that sometimes the best travels are those we can only dream about."

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: ilovetrains323 on December 13, 2015, 09:44:20 AM
Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 10, 2015, 10:44:08 AM

Actually, The van in question was just a normal CCT van. Main reason being, It's not green.. and it's not a mail van  So the green mail car has never appeared in the show.

The Green Coach is really a Green Utility Van. Bachmann's reasoning behind calling it a Mail Car is probably because the name of it would sell better, than calling it a Utility Van.

Also, this Green Utility Van (Mail Coach / Car) appeared in Series 4 Episode 12: Steam Roller. You only see it for one or two seconds. Thomas is pulling it, but you have to concentrate very hard to notice that it is green.

Cheeky_ULP

The Season 4 utility van prop was a dark grey color:

The supposed green hue is most likely a trick of the lighting.

The color the new Bachmann Mail car uses is more akin to this:

Hope this helps.