Trying to dismantle the Bachmann double-deck passenger car.

Started by 7573, December 10, 2015, 05:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey everybody,

As I live near Boston, I always wanted the MBTA model but it was always out of budget. I decided, now that I am older, that I would try my hand at constructing a set. I boldly ventured out and bought a mostly unmarked Bachmann double decker train car, seen below.

http://web4.hobbylinc.com/gr/bac/bac13248.jpg

As those who have seen the MBTA trains can tell you, the red and blue stripe needs to go, so I started to dismantle the body so I can remove the shell/windows and strip the paint. I will then repaint the car for the set. However, after removing the trucks I am not sure where to proceed and was hoping someone could point some guidance. I am not sure how fragile the cars are, so I did not want to put elbow grease into it and risk breaking it. Has anyone had any luck in taking this car apart? I am thinking of adding in lights later too.

billgiannelli

billgiannelli

I can see not it is not the same as the NJT multilevels.
But still nice!

I am not sure if NJT uses the Kawasaki cars like the MBTA, but it is the closest I could find! It's for me personally, so what do I care?

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Our double deck cars are Chinese prototypes painted in "imagineered" US colors.
If I remember correctly, the windows and roof are a one piece casting. Look under the car for a release mechanism; either tabs or screws. Once released, the rof and windows will lift out.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

bach-man,

I have removed the trucks, springs, etc to no avail. It seems that the bottom of the cars may be released but I am unsure. Can someone provide guidance?

Len

On some Bachmann passenger cars you have to spread the bottom of the sides slightly to release them from nubs on the edge of the chassis, then the body will lift from the chassis. I don't own any bilevel commuter cars, so can't say for sure that's how they work. But if there's nothing else obvious, it's worth checking.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Quote from: Len on December 14, 2015, 08:02:38 AM
On some Bachmann passenger cars you have to spread the bottom of the sides slightly to release them from nubs on the edge of the chassis, then the body will lift from the chassis. I don't own any bilevel commuter cars, so can't say for sure that's how they work. But if there's nothing else obvious, it's worth checking.

Len

Len, I owe you a deal of thanks. For everyone who has bought such a car and is as curious as I am, find a small flat head screwdriver. Remove the trucks, and flip the car bottom up. Between the floor and the wall, where the trucks were, insert the head of the flat-head screwdriver and gently pry the side away. The plastic is surprisingly resilient, and there are four nubs on either side of the car where the bottom bulges down. I made a pretty bad diagram below. The x's are the nubs, the 0's are the wheels before removal.
___                           ___
00  \__x__x__x__x__/ 00