News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

PCB Wiring Help

Started by RkyGriz, December 11, 2015, 08:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

Hi.  I am posting this today in the hope that someone in the Bachmann Big Hauler community will be able to tell me about the wire placement on Big Hauler sound pcb. i was installing a working rear tender light when the black ground wire for the 9 volt battery power wires fell off of the board. I went ahead and replaced both power wires with a 9 volt battery clip as the metal contacts for the 9 volt battery are missing and I tried to guess as to where the black wire came off of. Obviously, I guessed wrong. The sound worked earlier, but it doesn't work now. This is the older style sound/pcb  that doesn't have a volume control knob. I'm hoping that someone on the Bachmann Large Scale forum will have a photograph of one in working condition that shows the proper placement for the ground wire. I'll appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you in advance. Any assistance that you guys can give me with this will be greatly appreciated!
Later,
Andrew
The Tender was originally from the Royal Blue set # 90016 if this helps!

Loco Bill Canelos

I don't have an old one to check anymore, but I can say the sound circuit is polarity sensitive.  You could try reversing the leads and see if that helps. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

BillBrakeman

On my two 4-6-0s there is a wiring diagram on the underside of the water fill lids.

Bill

RkyGriz

I finally figured it out. I unsoldered the black wire from the pcb, hooked up the tender to one of my powered 4-6-0's and, following Loco Bill's advice,  started poking around with the black wire on the other solder points on the pcb until I heard sound. I found 2 points on the board where I could get the steam sound and only one that would give the both steam and chuff sound. I then soldered the black wire at that point and presto! Problem solved.
Thank you both for your suggestions!
Andrew
Incidentally, I'm eventually planning on upgrading my dummy Rio Grande Anniversary 4-6-0 to the upgraded version 6 chassis( http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_623&products_id=8205) with the improved pilot truck. Is the new chassis and pilot truck worth the extra money in your opinions? I like the idea of having the latest and greatest chassis , but if the older version 5 chassis ( http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4085) is just as good why spend the extra money on it?
What do you guys think?

sniglet

Its worth it to the gen 6 chassy.  It will pull 20 cars on a flat track. you also need to get the anny air tanks.

RkyGriz

Thanks for the input,sniglet. That's what I've been thinking, but I want to make sure that it's the right decision. The loco that it'll be going in is an Anniversary Edition Dummy that was made by Bachmann as a store display. It's complete with the exception of no motor or drive wheels. I modified it so that it could be towed around by the other locos as part of a double header train, but I've now decided to power it so it can pull its' own string of cars. Here's one of my youtube videos of it in operaton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXypfw1gTtI
Thanks for your help!
Andrew

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Andrew,

None of the Anniversary 4-6-0 chassis for sale in the online store are version six, that is to say they are all version 5 with the plastic gears.  There is nothing wrong with the version 5 and they are so reliable very few come in for repairs. In the past Bachmann stocked a large supply of chassis version 2 Thru 4 to use for warranty repairs and needed them.  Bachmann stocked a huge supply of version 5 chassis to have for warranty repairs as well, only to find that they didn't need them for repair because the originals are so reliable.  Bachmann now has so many excess version 5 chassis that they are dumping them at great prices both for the Big Hauler 4-6-0 and the Anniversary 4-6-0.   

Bachmann is totally sold out of the new swing arm front truck that comes on the Version six chassis, so at present  none are available for modifying the version 5 chassis.

The chassis for sale all have the front truck that slides side to side in the slot on the chassis.  Some folks don't like the original style front truck because it is more prone to hang up and derail especially on sharp curves or badly laid or maintained track. 

I have one Annie Version 6 Chassis 4-6-0 and three older version 5 chassis.  I bought two of the older style in 2000 when they first came out and the third a few years later.  I have never had a problem with the older front truck.  I run long trains many with loads and metal wheels and the version five has had no problems with long trains even on the steeper grades on my llayout.  They are all now fifteen years old, and are still running perfect with no repairs ever.  I do keep my track well maintained to prevent derailments, but  I also take special care of the front truck by using a good plastic compatible grease with teflon on all edges of the slot the truck rides in. After greasing I swing the truck from side to side in order to spreads the grease and to make sure the truck swings freely in the slot.  The most common problem involving the truck is that the wiring from the pickups in the truck gets out of position and or drops down and prevents the truck from moving freely in the slot.  Some folks I know just remove the front pickup wires cutting them back to the point they enter the chassis, but I never found this to be necessary.  I just use a small screwdriver and push the wiring up and out of the way of the slot.

I am providing all this background to promote understanding about the situation, and to lay out all the facts about both versions.

My opinion based on my experience is as follows:  If you are not on a tight budget buy a new complete version Six with the new front truck and metal gears.  If you are on a budget and love working on and making the dummy run then go ahead and buy the Anniversary Version 5 chassis for $55 and have fun. It will have the slot style front truck, but if you prepare it as noted above and keep your track in good shape it should give great service.  You would still have the option of buying the new front truck when again available and retrofitting it to the chassis. If budget is not a problem go ahead and do both.  Doing both will let you do your own comparison.

No matter what, be sure to have fun !!!!

Loco Bill   

veetwelve

Well, according to that link that Andrew provided, the Bachmann store is now providing the Version Six BH chassis, complete with the metal gears and the new pilot truck mounting.  Page 5 of their on-line Large Scale parts catalog under the 4-6-0 Anniversary heading shows 7 of the new chassis being offered, including an unlettered version for $95.

Jay

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks for correcting me Jay,

I totally blew that one :-[.  Yes the version six chassis is available and I totally misread that link.   After looking at that link and the links for the other Version six chassis I wondered if the price for the unlettered chassis was correct at $95 since all the others were $125, and there is no mechanical difference between them.  When I clicked on the link for the unlettered version it showed the price as $125 and not $95.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_623&products_id=8259

Still and all a good price for the chassis if you need one.  RLDhobbies has the whole locomotive for $249 and I think Trailworld is also close to that price for the complete loco

I still stand by my recommendations on the version 5 chassis.  In my own case I will not upgrade my older Version 5  Annies because they are still running strong and trouble free.  

Bill

veetwelve

You're right Bill... after looking again, I'm thinking the $95 price I saw on page 5 must have been in reference to the shell that appears just below that last V6 chassis.  All the other shells are $95, so that would make sense.  Good catch!

Jay