News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-4 Berkshire Problems

Started by bww3588, December 12, 2015, 05:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bww3588

I recently bought NKP 759 with the dcc sound value decoder.  Got it home and have been running it with my nce power cab.  Issues are, binding on the drivers/side rods at slow speed.  Bad to the point it won't run at a realistic slow speed without a light tap on the cab roof each turn of the drivers.  Also having issues with the sound as the speaker sounds very grainy, almost like am radio. Now I know that is getting picky but I figured it wouldn't have a crackly grainy sound to it.  Also, a lot of the sound functions won't work. No Dynamo when the light turns on, no air pump, no rod clank, no coupler clank...

I'm fairly new to dcc and the function mapping is confusing to me but according to the pdf from bachmann/soundtraxx, these sounds are enabled and mapped to function buttons from the factory.

Now before I get too worked up, the sound stuff is minor in my book, but the binding is unacceptable.  I assumed it needed "ran in" so I let it run around the layout for 2 hours while I watched tv, then ran it backwards for another hour while I worked on the other main line and it still has the same issues.  They actually seemed to get worse.

The sound issues are more of an addition I put in as this may be clues to a defective decoder or loco in general.

So far, I'm very disappointed that this 200 dollar loco runs worse than the 75 dollar atlas gp7 that I bought.

Mike C

Some of these locos have a slight binding problem from the factory . If it's not too bad changing the BEMF CV's will smooth it out . Change CV209 to 230 , cv210 to 30 , cv212 to 150 , cv213 to 2 and cv214 to 3 . This should smooth out the slow speed running , if not you may want to send it in to the repair dept .
As far as sound goes , this is a stripped down version of a Soundtraxx decoder and does not have dynamo rod clank or coupler clank . The air pump should work though , it's vol is on cv132. The grainy sound could be that you have the sound turned up too loud , mine sound good , but I run the sound at a low volume .

Mike C

Also I have 2 of them one does run a bit better than the other and I did have to change the back EMF CV's on both of them .

kewatin

i did a complete write up about this problem and how to fix the issues you may possibly have. mike c used these cv's as a starting place for his numbers ,but some locos require a little different fiddeling.i own 3 of these locos and they all run 90% better after the adjustments.also like mike stated these are basic sound units,good enough for me though.bottom line is i would try the adjustments offered  &see if those adjustments straightened out your problem,if not send it back for repair or replacement.good luck and let us know how you make out.
regards&later KEWATIN

bww3588

I think it's a side rod or bushing issue. I found a video on YouTube about how to "fix" it but I'm not bending the side rods. I shouldn't have to do that to a 200 dollar brand new locomotive. I'll try the cv adjustments and if that doesn't cure it, I'll send it back to bachmann. They can bend the side rods if that's how they choose to fix it.

As far as the sounds, I'm perfectly ok with it being "stripped down" version. I just didn't know that and I like things to work as they should, regardless of whether I would use them or not

As of now, I'm very disappointed in this locomotive performance wise.

airferber

Feel Free to Try the following:
Set CV128 to Zero to turn sound off if you want to run DC without Sound.  It runs better silent than with sound on DC Mode.  I only recommend the sound enabled if u plan to use DCC.
-Aaron

gatrhumpy

Most of the people in here buying these things have DCC, but good point.

kewatin

in the fellows post he states he is running dcc using a nce system.as my layout  is set up using an nce system the results to try with the cv's worked well with me and mike c.if the cv changes do not straighten the problem out then there is a binding in the side rod &bearing block &should be returned to bachmann 's repair dept for repair  or replacement.it is dis heartening to get a new loc with a defect ,but it happens from time to time. i would mail it in asap before the after xmas rush when the service dept is busy &you will wait 5 to 7 wks for a return.ask me how i know these things.
regards&later KEWATIN

bww3588

Balls...kinda in a jam as I bought it as a Christmas gift to my daughter and have been trying to get everything setup for her so it's ready Christmas morning.  I guess if it takes 5-7 weeks, so be it. As long as she is happy that Santa brought it to her and got it running.

Backermi

My bershire runs too slow. 47 mph in n scale. It can hardly pull it own weight and will not go up a 2% grade.  Any thoughts

James in FL

QuoteAny thoughts

I don't own one so can't/won't comment.
Check out what the spook has to say here;

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach284.html

Good luck