News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann S4 Diesel

Started by readingrr, August 17, 2015, 07:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

readingrr

My HO S4 diesel is DCC ready and I want to put a sound decoder in it.  I'm in the process of converting all my analog locos to sound DCC.  I'm fairly experienced at this having converted about 6 or 7 other locos successfully so far, but I am stumped with this one at removing the loco shell from the chassis.  The parts diagram is no help and I've searched this forum and YouTube for this topic and not turned up anything.  Anybody been through this and can advise?  Thanks.
                                           Bob

richardl

Found in a couple Google searches. Did not take very long.

I have the ALCO S4 and all I had to do to remove the body shell is remove the screws holding the coupler boxes in place and lift the shell.

Rich

readingrr

Thanks for the help.  That will be a project for tomorrow.  Could you post a link to one of the YouTube videos you
found.  I'd like to know what I missed.

richardl

Quote from: readingrr on August 17, 2015, 07:39:55 PM
Thanks for the help.  That will be a project for tomorrow.  Could you post a link to one of the YouTube videos you
found.  I'd like to know what I missed.

Did not try You Tube.

I found a couple different forums where the same question was asked. Rather not post links to other forums here.
All I searched for was bachmann ho shell removal

I do know some diesels do have a tight fitting shell.

Rich

jbrock27

Bob, I think you are going to have to resign yourself to knowing you are not going to be able to rely on just a parts diagram for the kind of info and insight you often seek for your projects.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richardl

I can see in the S4 diagram that the couplers keep the shell in place. The couplers poke through the shell and are attached to the frame with screws.
Some bigger diesels, there are screws though the oil tank into the frame that have to be removed.
One or two, a tank shell has to be popped off and then you see the screws that hold the shell to the frame.

I have kept some Bachmann forum discussions on shell removal in my Internet links. Just added this discussion to the links.

I did a You Tube search but all I found was how to electrically check an S4 but the user did not show how to remove the shell.
Found one on an S4 with different decoder but I see that a lot in You Tube videos. Not many go into details on shell removal.

Rich

ACY

I had the shell off of my Erie S4 to install sound. I did not consult any diagrams or instructions before removal. Removing the shell is a extremely simple task that only takes a few minutes to do. It is very straightforward,  so I don't know what could possibly be causing you a problem.

jonathan

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,27746.0.html

This is my thread on the S-2 which is nearly identical.  Just remove the couplers and the shell lifts off.

Regards,

Jonathan

readingrr

Excellent thread on the S2 Jonathan - Thank you.  I have always admired your modeling skills that you show from time to time on this forum.  Getting the shell off is a relatively simple matter once you know the attachment method.  As I said in my original post I did not rely solely on the parts diagram, but was unable to locate anything on my specific point in this forum or on YouTube.
                                                              Bob

jbrock27

Bob, I made my initial post after reading through your past posts and noticed a trend, hence my commentary.  And clearly to get where you wanted to be, you relied on more than just a parts diagram, you came for and received assistance here.  That can be, more reliable ;) and helps to support my point, that branching out can get you past the difficulties in trying to gleen info from a parts diagram.

Happy Railroading!

BTW: how do you like your S4?
Keep Calm and Carry On

bapguy

I have 2 S4's, 1 sound value the other 1 I installed a sound decoder. I used a Tsunami board style 828049 and the speaker with baffle Bachmann sells: •Model: SPKR#10080-N01-02.
I found this speaker gave better sound then using 1 in the supplied enclosure. To get the decoder to fit I modified the enclosure by cutting an opening in the top front  for the resister for the headlight to fit in. I also filed down the top of the enclosure so the decoder would fit inside. Other wise the decoder sat to high for the shell to fit back on. I added grab irons to both as well as working rotary  beacons. Joe 

readingrr

Thanks for the decoder install tips  I haven't started on this yet but will keep your info in mind. As far as liking my S4, actually, it hasn't been run very much yet.  Bought it just before I converted to DCC.  It's a good looker and a real DCC ready bargain.  I'm sure I'll like it once I get it converted.

jbrock27

Ok, what happens when it is not as simple as having he shell pop off once the 2 coupler screws and 2 coupler boxes are removed ??? :'(
After doing that, the shell is not looking to budge.  What else should I be looking to do?  Spread the shell at the center a little?  Spread the shell at the ends a little?

Wish it was as simple as removing he coupler boxes, but it is not, at least not for this one.  As noted earlier in the thread, the directions/parts diagram do not provide any direction on even getting the shell off and this Topic is the "hit" on GOOGLE that shows up on the subject of removing the shell.

Thanks for any help that can be furnished.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Never mind, I wiggled and tugged and blew the house down :D

*What made it tough, is it looked like some of the paint on the chassis was stuck to the shell.
Keep Calm and Carry On