News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

code 100 vs 110

Started by billgiannelli, December 14, 2015, 06:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

what is code 110 vs 100?
I thought I understood what code 100 is but now I see code 110 on other sites.
is that used with code 100?
thanks
Bill

jbrock27

Sure it is referring to HO scale track Bill?  Never heard of 110, except for referencing voltage or a N/S route on L.I.
Can you paste here?
Keep Calm and Carry On

TwinZephyr

Code 100 is a rail size.
Code 110 is a wheel tread size.

billgiannelli

Ah yes!
That makes sense!
thank you
Bill

jbrock27

Bill, does your looking at wheel sets have anything to do with your other topic question about replacing the trucks on your tender?
What wheel sets have you checked out?  I have used Kadee, P2K and Intermountain (both 33" and 36")  successfully.
Keep Calm and Carry On

billgiannelli

yes it does!
Thanks for the info!
Bill

jbrock27

You're welcome Bill.

EZ to find:

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/truck.htm

Thanks for jogging my memory Zeph :D  Only ever got the 110s (for the Kadee ones anyway).  Don't recall that as part of the descriptions for the P2ks or Intermountains.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Tender trucks will, by prototype practice, vary in type, size, as well as appearance.  I have "built" several tenders using Bachmann parts, as well as brass parts, and truck type; for instance, I have used 'drop-frame express trucks' on some of my tenders.  The one thing I will recommend is to use the same preparatory care that you would use on other trucks; by this I mean, check your wheelsets, if you have plastic trucks, use that wheel tool to clean up the axle bearing area, then use graphite, or another type pf dry lube.  I use graphite.  Also, if the tender is equipped with  plastic wheelsets, my advice is to lose them and get metal-your choice of mfgr-wheels.  If the tender has electrical connections (most do), then ensure the continuity is good.

Rich C.

Hunt

Quote from: TwinZephyr on December 14, 2015, 09:03:33 AM
Code 100 is a rail size.
Code 110 is a wheel tread size.

Wheel Code is Wheel Width in thousandths of an inch. Wheel Tread Width (size) is a different measurement.

Wheel Code 110 represents a wheel width of 0.110 inch

Click Here   for PDF of the NMRA Standard S-4.2

jbrock27

Why?  Was the Kadee link not enough, that shows the difference between Code 110 and Code 88 wheel widths ???
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
Regarding those "88" wheels.  I have used the 'prototype" wheels, and am not crazy about them.  They look good, and to the manufacturer's credit, are very accurate.  But, I would rather the security of RP-25 or the like.  I know that I probably won;t have to  fish a train our of a tunnel because of those wheels derailing on my "expertly done" track.  How have you fared with them, or do you use them?

Rich C.

jbrock27

Me neither.  When I have bought Kadees, I have stuck with the 110s.  They allow for running on a wider variance of track than 88s.  I like all RP-25 wheels in general over non RP-25 wheels.  It's the way to go.
Keep Calm and Carry On