News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wonderland flyer help

Started by ad_man21, December 20, 2015, 01:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ad_man21

Hi guys,

I am new to trains and got the wonderland flyer g scale for my christmas tree, I just had some questions, it was running fine and now is making a squeaking sound and I don't know why. Also for lubes what do I buy? Where I am I can't find the bachmann easy lubes.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck N

A couple of questions.  Are you using the 4' diameter track that came with the set?  Do the wheels squeak all the time or just on the curves?  Try running the engine by its self and then add one car at a time. Maybe you can isolate the source of the squeak.

The 4' diameter curves are very tight.  The train will run through those curves, but they aren't happy travelers.  Squeak only in the curves is usually the metal wheels on the engine grinding the rail head in the inside of the outside rail.  A small dab of graphite paste on the inside of the outside rail where the track enters the curve from the straight section might help, or any conducting lubricant should work.  I wouldn't recommend graphite if your layout is on a light colored carpet. 

If it squeaks all the time, a drop of plastic compatable light oil in each journal will help.  You could also use graphite power, just don't use too much.

Chuck

RkyGriz

I totally agree with Chuck. Tight curves cause binding on the wheels. I recommend curves of at least 5 foot diameter or larger to help prevent squealing and  premature wheel/track wear. For lube, I use Bachmann Light gear oil for the drive rods and Bachmann Heavy Gear Oil for the bearings on the chassis wheel shafts and pilot pivot point . For the gears, I'm currently using Labelle 106 grease. These lubricants are fairly pricey running anywhere between $10.00 and $13.00 each, but they are well worth the investment to protect your trains moving parts and running gear and to insure that your train provides you with many years of enjoyment. Here's a link to the lubrication process of these locomotives on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxTWNdIusF4
Enjoy your train and have fun!
Andrew

Joe Zullo

Mobil 1 synthetic lubes for autos are plastic compatible and MUCH cheaper! Use 15W-40 oil for most jobs and wheel bearing grease for the gears.  ;)