Bachmann Thomas and Friends in 2016

Started by Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow), December 15, 2015, 06:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

Honestly I'm a little surprised that they didn't announce a speed-activated sound Percy last year, or the year before after the Thomas model.  I'd be curious to see if they would follow-up on this in the near future since Percy seems like the likely, if not inevitable addition to follow Thomas with sound.  

Den and Dart would be a little strange coming from Bachmann since they are nowhere near as popular or iconic as Victor or Kevin, but even then I wouldn't consider Victor to have much of a high chance since the Skarloey range had just started.  I could definitely see Victor happening before Luke and Millie, but not before the rest of the original six narrow gauge engines.  But going back to Den and Dart, I feel like they might not be as likely since their usage in CGI is somewhat minimal compared to these two but I certainly wouldn't mind them.

Scruff would probably have a similar issue too since Whiff hasn't even been made or announced either.  That being said, he has had more roles to himself since season 17 so he at least has that going for him.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Chaz

I love Stepney he is easily one of my favorite characters.  He is definitely one I would like to see next year, despite not being in CGI yet.  He has plenty of association with some of the recently added characters from Bachmann, so I feel Stepney would be a natural fit.  He is also one of the last three classic characters from the first four seasons left so already I feel he has some popularity going for him.

AJW98Productions

ChaoticCreeper55, if you think they have all the engines you really need in HO, then you don't necessarily have to predict the next engine to join the range, just stick to the other ranges if it fits you better, or alternatively just what you think Bachmann has the greatest chance of releasing next, as this topic did start out as a predictions thread, as opposed to a wishlist thread. For example I have no clue what Bachmann could release next year, so I just guessed that for now, Paxton seems most likely (to me anyway), but that would be if we get an engine at all next year. Oh, and also just a friendly heads-up, there's a "modify" button at the top of every post you make, so you don't have to go back and post multiple times in a row in the same topic, it just creates less clutter and only adds to one post instead of 2+ new ones. I mean, no harm no foul, this is just a friendly heads-up :)

Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on December 25, 2015, 09:00:39 PM
Yeah... if they made the whole series whistle and chuff people would only need to put a DCC chip without sound if they wanted to oporate there engines in different ways.  
Unfortunately, the voltage is a problem that somewhat prohibits this from functioning ideally. Bachmann's Whistle and Chuff Thomas as well all know is DC, so the sound chip is made to detect the voltage the motor is receiving and respond accordingly, for instance, higher speeds create higher voltage, meaning the sound chip responds accordingly. Unfortunately DCC runs at a higher voltage already, I think I saw a video a while ago of a man who does DCC conversions explaining that, because of this, Bachmann's Whistle and Chuff Thomas, when fitted with DCC, sounds like its going at its top speed, even if its only moving seemingly at a crawling speed. So it is a bit of an issue, the best alternative is to just get a DCC chip with sound to fit to Thomas, but that's probably a topic someone else could do a far better job of explaining than I could.

Anyway, shifting this long post of mine back to the topic at hand, predictions. I honestly don't see Bachmann making any more than 2 engines in next year's Narrow Gauge line up, sorry for seeming so cynical to anyone who is hoping for around 3, but allow me to first elaborate on why I think that won't happen.
It seems to me at least, that this year's range was a big success, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that the most engines ever released into the range at once was 3 in a year, and that was in 2002, when the HO range was first getting on its feet, Bachmann wanted to be able to quickly release 3 engines to keep options open early and keep themselves in the game by establishing themselves quickly.
Large Scale was a gamble to them, but slightly less of one, as their HO Thomas line was already established and profititable, and it kind of shows, as in HO, 3 engines (Thomas, Percy and James) were released in its debut year, as opposed to Large Scale, where in its debut year only 2 engines (Thomas and Percy) were released, and James was released in the range's second year.
And on the subject of HO, since 2002 it seems when we've had more than 1 engine released in a year since, it's because they share similar features, for example, Gordon and Henry were released together in the range's second year, but their toolings share a lot of similar features, meaning that it was easier to release them together than it would be with a lot of other engines.
For example, the chassis blocks for Gordon and Henry are identical, or at least appeared that way upon close inspection of my models, Henry's even has room for the screw that holds in Gordon's rear trailing wheels, a feature which would be impractical unless the chassis block is the same between the two, even their driving wheels and front bogies are the same, that's I think why they came out in the same year, and (correct me if I'm wrong) but since then, any engines that came out in pairs of two were always twins, eg. Donald and Douglas, Bill and Ben, 'Arry and Bert.
So next year I seriously doubt we'll see upwards of 2 Narrow Gauge Engines, I think we may only see Rheneas, as he seems the most likely candidate. Personally I can see Bachmann releasing the Narrow Gauge engines in numerical order (except possibly with Peter Sam and Sir Handel, I think Peter Sam could be released before Sir Handel), if they are released at a rate of 1 a year, that is. If we are to get 2 engines next year, I think we'll see Rheneas and Rusty. Rheneas has high demand amongst the fans, and given the backstory of Rheneas and Skarloey, it seems almost counter-intuitive not to follow up Skarloey with Rheneas, it also makes sense numerically, as Rheneas in #2 on the Narrow Gauge railway, and Sarloey is #1.
So, I hear a few people already asking (or at least, I'm assuming I'd be asked), why would Rusty follow up in the second year, as he is #5 on the Narrow Gauge railway, well a few reasons: His design is not as complex as the other engines, being a diesel and all, his design is rather box like and quite simple compared to the likes of Peter Sam and Sir Handel, also the fact that it seems to be (from what I've heard anyway) that Skarloey, Rheneas and Rusty seem to have gotten the most attention recently, almost appearing as the "Main Three" of the Narrow Gauge line (much like how Thomas, Percy and James spent a few years as the "Main Three" of the standard gauge engines).
Also I thought this might happen because it seems to me that Peter Sam and Sir Handel, for the most part have similar wheelbases, and also given their backstories and appearances in the classic seasons, they seemed to be, for a while at least, good contrasts to each other (given Peter Sam seems to be the positive contrast of the two, that is why I think he'd have a fair chance of being released before Sir Handel, just to tie into what I was saying earlier about Peter Sam being potentionally released before Sir Handel).
In the classic seasons, Sir Handel was grumpy and disliked Trucks and was often rude, Peter Sam was almost his polar opposite, I could almost see these 2 being released together as well, but I think Bachmann are more likely to stick to the safest route next year of just Rheneas, that's just my predictions anyway. If I (objectively) got some information in here wrong, feel free to correct me, if you think that (subjectively) my opinion/s are wrong, feel free to reply of you want, that's a part of the beauty of predictions after all, calmly debating with logic and reason (I must ask anyone who does intend on responding to this to not quote this post, as its length would unnecessarily clog up the thread).

Anyway, as ever I look forward to hearing the opinions of other members, and constructive criticism is always welcome. I look forward to any responses or thoughts on any of next year's potential releases, predicitons are after all, one of the most interesting parts to the lead up to the announcements in the following year :)

~Alex :)

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on December 25, 2015, 10:17:30 PM
I also think Bachmann Murdoch would be pretty cool

That is a good Locomtive for Bachmnn to bring out, but it wouldn't be as good as the Hornby Murdoch. The Hronby Murdoch has already set a good standard going, when it was released back in 2011. Bachamnn would not be able to produce a Murdoch better or just as good as the Hornby one. The Hornby Murdoch, has sprung buffers, seperate handrails, a ladder on the rear of his tender, just like a real life Class 9F has. The detail that Hornby Murodch has would not be beaten by Bachmann because they so not fit sprung buffers, separate handrails to their Locomotives. I admit that there probably is a bit too much extra detail fitted to Hornby Murdoch, but I feel it is better than having one without it, with moulded handrails like Bachmann would do.

AJW98Productions

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 26, 2015, 05:04:59 AM

That is a good Locomtive for Bachmnn to bring out, but it wouldn't be as good as the Hornby Murdoch. The Hronby Murdoch has already set a good standard going, when it was released back in 2011. Bachamnn would not be able to produce a Murdoch better or just as good as the Hornby one. The Hornby Murdoch, has sprung buffers, seperate handrails, a ladder on the rear of his tender, just like a real life Class 9F has. The detail that Hornby Murodch has would not be beaten by Bachmann because they so not fit sprung buffers, separate handrails to their Locomotives. I admit that there probably is a bit too much extra detail fitted to Hornby Murdoch, but I feel it is better than having one without it, with moulded handrails like Bachmann would do.
Remember that detail isn't everything, it also comes down to the quality of the model's running, and many other factors. I don't see Bachmann avoiding releasing Murdoch just because Hornby already have their own variation available, as it is much harder to acquire a Hornby Murdoch in the USA anyway, where Bachmann has the license to produce Thomas in HO, and the same country where Hornby does not have the license to produce Thomas in OO, just like Bachmann odes not have the license to produce their HO range in the UK. This means that Hornby models can be much more difficult for Bachmann's US customers, and does give Bachmann excellent market advantage if they were to do so.

But with that said, I'm not going to lie, I don't think Bachmann will be making Murdoch in the near future, as he only appeared in 7 episodes, and only spoke in 3 of them. Trucks like S.C.Ruffy are a little different, as for Bachmann that was a quick new face moulding and repaint, plus S.C.Ruffy is a little more iconic than Murdoch anyway, Murdoch would be a large gamble on a relatively large new tooling that would be expensive to produce, and given his last appearance was in Season 12, and he does not seem to be in high demand among many fans, I do not see Bachmann producing Murdoch in the near future, even though I do like his basis...
(And if you don't believe me about his amount of appearances, I double checked the TTEWikia to make sure that was correct: http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Murdoch )

~Alex

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 26, 2015, 05:22:13 AM
Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 26, 2015, 05:04:59 AM

Remember that detail isn't everything, it also comes down to the quality of the model's running, and many other factors. I don't see Bachmann avoiding releasing Murdoch just because Hornby already have their own variation available, as it is much harder to acquire a Hornby Murdoch in the USA anyway, where Bachmann has the license to produce Thomas in HO, and the same country where Hornby does not have the license to produce Thomas in OO, just like Bachmann odes not have the license to produce their HO range in the UK. This means that Hornby models can be much more difficult for Bachmann's US customers, and does give Bachmann excellent market advantage if they were to do so.

But with that said, I'm not going to lie, I don't think Bachmann will be making Murdoch in the near future, as he only appeared in 7 episodes, and only spoke in 3 of them. Trucks like S.C.Ruffy are a little different, as for Bachmann that was a quick new face moulding and repaint, plus S.C.Ruffy is a little more iconic than Murdoch anyway, Murdoch would be a large gamble on a relatively large new tooling that would be expensive to produce, and given his last appearance was in Season 12, and he does not seem to be in high demand among many fans, I do not see Bachmann producing Murdoch in the near future, even though I do like his basis...
(And if you don't believe me about his amount of appearances, I double checked the TTEWikia to make sure that was correct: http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Murdoch )

~Alex

I still want Bachmann to produce Murdoch, as it would expect their range, but Hornby Murdoch I know will be better with detail and he runs really well.

It's difficult for UK residents like myself to get hold of the Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO Gauge range, and it's now difficult for UK residents to get hold of Hornby Murdoch as he has been discontinued since early last year (2014), and the price if him is going for about £400.00 on eBay for a brand new one.

I do believe you Alex. I have seen all the Episodes where you see Murdoch and sadly he is a rare sighting. You seem in the background more than him being a speaking character, but he still rare to see in the background. I was surprised to see Hornby produce him as he not a well know character and has not appeared much, but I was really looking forward to getting him when Hornby announced their 2011 range on Christmas Day 2010.

Chaz

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 26, 2015, 05:56:13 AM
I still want Bachmann to produce Murdoch, as it would expect their range, but Hornby Murdoch I know will be better with detail and he runs really well.

Are we really going to have this discussion again? How could you possibly know that when Bachmann has never even announced or confirmed Murdoch to compare the model with?  No offense, but I am really tired of you giving Hornby so much credit when there is literally no evidence to support these claims you keep making.

That said I don't expect Murdoch to happen from Bachmann anytime soon anyway, since the tooling price would be pretty high and he hasn't even returned into full CGI yet, so already there is very little going for a Bachmann Murdoch at this time.  I would probably put someone like Arthur before Murdoch would get considered. 

Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on December 26, 2015, 12:05:39 AM
There was that one point in time when they were kind of deciding between CGI and the models, but I think there was only like 1 episode he was in. Here is a picture:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/scratchpad/images/4/42/SemiCGiStepney.png/revision/latest?cb=20130318113938

I like the old model engine more. Do you?

I definitely prefer the model version over CGI personally, but I do not think that his appearance in season 12 will make that much of a difference at this point for Bachmann's production since Bachmann announced Oliver a year after he returned in CGI with Toad, which is why everyone is confident in Daisy happening next since she returned this year in Lost Treasure.  Though personally with all of the other classic characters that have returned so far I feel like Stepney would be a natural fit in the show as a returning character in full CGI.  

Also Alex, I find it interesting that you mentioned Rusty being the third narrow gauge engine that you expect from Bachmann.  I could see Rusty happening in the future too but not right away since I imagine others like Rheneas and even Peter Sam could happen before him.  To me, Rusty is basically the "Toby" of the narrow gauge engines meaning that there isn't a lot of urgency to him but he has a simple design with a lot of conversion possibilities.  I know I would certainly love to have Rusty too! 

AJW98Productions

Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on December 26, 2015, 12:26:53 PM
Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 26, 2015, 03:33:05 AM
ChaoticCreeper55, if you think they have all the engines you really need in HO, then you don't necessarily have to predict the next engine to join the range

So you are saying I can't voice my opinion?
I'm saying quite the opposite actually, I'm saying that if you are having a hard time forming an opinion (which to me it sounded like you were), that you didn't have to state one if you didn't want to, as based on your earlier statement (found here):
Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on December 26, 2015, 01:41:17 AM
For the ho scale I didn't know what to put cause I think they have probably all the engines that I really need.
You sounded like you said that merely because you thought that you had to, as you didn't know what to put, I was just saying that you don't have to give your opinion if you were having a hard time forming one. I was just trying to be nice is all, sorry for any confusion, but I was genuinely trying to be nice :) I would never forbid someone from stating an opinion, that's what makes this fun after all, I just thought you shouldn't have to give one if you seemed like you almost didn't entirely want to give an opinion, which in this case it came across to me like you didn't entirely want to give an opinion on HO, and no one should feel like they have to give an opinion if they don't want to, which again, it seemed like you didn't. So I thought I'd try to be nice, sorry if I came across as rude at all, I was trying to be nice. Feel free to voice your opinions all you like, I was not in the slightest bit trying to prevent you from having an opinion.

Sorry for the confusion, but please know I did have good intentions and I did only mean that in a nice way. Best wishes,

Metal

I'd say that Stepney would help with color contrast and Daisy/Boco for Big Diesels. And that's pretty much all the classic characters.

Also with all this talk about Murdoch, I'm not gonna lie saying that Murdoch is probably Hornby's best model. But I think he really falls short, especially when compared something like Hiro, who would seem to have a much better chance than Murdoch, for being the next tender engine. He's highly popular to both older and younger fans. Plus he actually has depth, and has such an extraordinary design. But he falls in the same category as tooling costs, considering he's a tender engine.

AJW98Productions

Quote from: Chaz on December 26, 2015, 12:28:24 PM
Also Alex, I find it interesting that you mentioned Rusty being the third narrow gauge engine that you expect from Bachmann.  I could see Rusty happening in the future too but not right away since I imagine others like Rheneas and even Peter Sam could happen before him.  To me, Rusty is basically the "Toby" of the narrow gauge engines meaning that there isn't a lot of urgency to him but he has a simple design with a lot of conversion possibilities.  I know I would certainly love to have Rusty too! 
That was under the possibility of Bachmann releasing 2 Narrow Gauge engines in the same year (which I do somewhat doubt myself), moreso, if only one gets released per year, I expect Rusty would be saved for much later down the track (the pun was not intended), I could see him happening as a third engine, but I expect Peter Sam and Sir Handel have higher chances of coming out first, I just thought I'd bring up a point I don't recall having seen anyone else brought up. But I did an absolutely terrible job of bringing that up, Rusty was moreso brought up as a possibility, as I think it could happen, and I thought should be mentioned as he is one of the few engines I haven't seen brought up for being the third Narrow Gauge engine from Bachmann. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I think Rusty has greater chances for being the third Narrow Gauge engine than I believe he's credited for, but that's just my opinion, and I don't speak for everyone :) so to each their own opinion I guess :)

Also thanks for bringing up Rusty's kitbashing potential, that was a point I completely forogt to bring up in my last post. But the simple design is something that I believe would make for an easy to produce model, which would definitely be appealing to the company selling as well as the buyers ready to kitbash or just use regularly, depending on sufficient demand of course.

I'm curious though, as most people seem to think Rheneas will be the second engine in the range, who do people think will be the third and why?

~Alex

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on December 26, 2015, 12:28:24 PM
Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 26, 2015, 05:56:13 AM

Are we really going to have this discussion again? How could you possibly know that when Bachmann has never even announced or confirmed Murdoch to compare the model with?  No offense, but I am really tired of you giving Hornby so much credit when there is literally no evidence to support these claims you keep making.

That said I don't expect Murdoch to happen from Bachmann anytime soon anyway, since the tooling price would be pretty high and he hasn't even returned into full CGI yet, so already there is very little going for a Bachmann Murdoch at this time.  I would probably put someone like Arthur before Murdoch would get considered. 

Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on December 26, 2015, 12:05:39 AM
There was that one point in time when they were kind of deciding between CGI and the models, but I think there was only like 1 episode he was in. Here is a picture:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/scratchpad/images/4/42/SemiCGiStepney.png/revision/latest?cb=20130318113938

I like the old model engine more. Do you?

I definitely prefer the model version over CGI personally, but I do not think that his appearance in season 12 will make that much of a difference at this point for Bachmann's production since Bachmann announced Oliver a year after he returned in CGI with Toad, which is why everyone is confident in Daisy happening next since she returned this year in Lost Treasure.  Though personally with all of the other classic characters that have returned so far I feel like Stepney would be a natural fit in the show as a returning character in full CGI.   

Chaz, I am not crediting just Hornby. Bachmann have produced some good stuff too. I am impressed with the new Skarleoy Locomotive that has recently been released. The fact is that, since young and all my life I have the Hornby Thomas & Friends range close to my heart while I have grown up. I like and enjoy the Bachmann range, but I haven't grown up with it as long as I have with the Hornby range, so that is the Hornby range is closer to my heart, if you like.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Metal on December 26, 2015, 01:01:02 PM
I'd say that Stepney would help with color contrast and Daisy/Boco for Big Diesels. And that's pretty much all the classic characters.

Also with all this talk about Murdoch, I'm not gonna lie saying that Murdoch is probably Hornby's best model. But I think he really falls short, especially when compared something like Hiro, who would seem to have a much better chance than Murdoch, for being the next tender engine. He's highly popular to both older and younger fans. Plus he actually has depth, and has such an extraordinary design. But he falls in the same category as tooling costs, considering he's a tender engine.

I agree, with you actually, Metal. Hornby Spencer and Murdoch are the two best Thomas & Friends Locomotives that Hornby have ever produced.

Chaz

I think at this point it's best to drop the subject of Murdoch and the Hornby model since it's clear that Murdoch doesn't have a lot going for a Bachmann model anyway.  It's like what Metal posted earlier too, a character like Hiro would make more sense than Murdoch since he's more iconic and would probably have better sales due to his strong following.  If not Hiro, then one of the last three classic characters that he mentioned earlier or someone like Paxton would make more sense than Murdoch or even Hiro anyway.  

Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 26, 2015, 01:36:33 PM
I'm curious though, as most people seem to think Rheneas will be the second engine in the range, who do people think will be the third and why?

For the third narrow gauge engine, I could see it either being Sir Handel or Peter Sam.  While Sir Handel would make sense because of the numerical order, I feel Peter Sam would make even more sense than Sir Handel because he has had more appearances and speaking roles in CGI and has also had his own episode to himself in CGI which was Don't Bother Victor.  Either of these would be great, but even on a personal preference Peter Sam is my favorite narrow gauge engine so I would be happy seeing him come out in the future.  

Chloe Amy

Hey Jacob sorry I keep trying 2 reply 2 your messages but for some reason you're not getting them?

ChaoticCreeper55

Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 26, 2015, 12:43:07 PM
Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on December 26, 2015, 12:26:53 PM
Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 26, 2015, 03:33:05 AM
ChaoticCreeper55, if you think they have all the engines you really need in HO, then you don't necessarily have to predict the next engine to join the range

So you are saying I can't voice my opinion?
I'm saying quite the opposite actually, I'm saying that if you are having a hard time forming an opinion (which to me it sounded like you were), that you didn't have to state one if you didn't want to, as based on your earlier statement (found here):
Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on December 26, 2015, 01:41:17 AM
For the ho scale I didn't know what to put cause I think they have probably all the engines that I really need.
You sounded like you said that merely because you thought that you had to, as you didn't know what to put, I was just saying that you don't have to give your opinion if you were having a hard time forming one. I was just trying to be nice is all, sorry for any confusion, but I was genuinely trying to be nice :) I would never forbid someone from stating an opinion, that's what makes this fun after all, I just thought you shouldn't have to give one if you seemed like you almost didn't entirely want to give an opinion, which in this case it came across to me like you didn't entirely want to give an opinion on HO, and no one should feel like they have to give an opinion if they don't want to, which again, it seemed like you didn't. So I thought I'd try to be nice, sorry if I came across as rude at all, I was trying to be nice. Feel free to voice your opinions all you like, I was not in the slightest bit trying to prevent you from having an opinion.

Sorry for the confusion, but please know I did have good intentions and I did only mean that in a nice way. Best wishes,

Oh ok I see what your saying. Sorry for the confusion.