News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

More K-27 questions

Started by soulmann, November 16, 2007, 10:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulmann

Bach-man: 

I've been impressed so far with the 1:20.3 offerings......keep 'em coming!

Two questions: First, the green boiler K-27. Is the boiler darker than the picture posted in the photo gallery? I'm not complaining.....I pictured a different shade of green.

Second: I was told today by my retailer that his original shipment of 50 K-27's is now only going to be 20; I will not be one of the 20.  I was also told that this is an issue that other retailers will face as well. Can you confirm or deny this statement?

Thanks,

Soulmann

the Bach-man

Dear Soulmann,
The response to the K-27 has been overwhelming, so it's quite possible that some dealers are oversold. There will be more arriving in the spring if you miss out on the first shipment.
The green on the sample should be representative.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

yrfavdob

The green paint was a takeoff on Russia Iron boiler jacketing. Russia Iron was various colors depending upon the mineral content and there were some that were green or gray-green. K-27s were painted black with gold lettering in 1903 at Baldwin and never had any planished jacketing. Green paint was randomly applied to NG and SG locos - seems to have been a local option. I heard years back that Salida shops were partial to green but have no actual confirmation.

Dennis O'Berry

North County Narrow Guage

soulmann

Thanks for the info!

Hopefully good things will come to those who wait.

Soulmann

Kevin Strong

Quote from: yrfavdob on November 17, 2007, 09:37:58 PM
Green paint was randomly applied to NG and SG locos - seems to have been a local option. I heard years back that Salida shops were partial to green but have no actual confirmation.

I had heard at one point that the green boiler jacket was the result of a rivalry between the various D&RGW shops. I don't know that it was necessarily related to trying to replicate a Russian Iron jacket, just that the crews wanted to spruce up the loco a bit in an effort to thumb their noses at the other shops. It's been a while since I've heard or seen reference to the story, so I wouldn't publish this as absolute fact.

Later,

K

mackers

Who is your retailer, I ordered mine two weeks ago but they would not commit to time of delivery..........or where I was on the list.........?   Mac

johnegert

I just received an invitation form the Colorado RR Museum to the "coming out party" for engine 346, newly restored and repainted with a green boiler that shocked me for a minute---- a much brighter green than the Pullman green shade that D&RGW models have usually been painted. The color is almost the same as the elm/cottonwood leaves in the backround. I hope some of the narrow gauge crazies here can elaborate---- I'm sure a lot of thought and research went into this restoration.....................
john

Perry Ottoman

Its my understanding that the green paint was a load of left over army stuff that was gotten cheap, ditto for the San Juan set. 

Depression era stuff, get it from where you could.

Matthew (OV)

Just placed the order for mine .... still available with free shipping, and as long as you don't want the one with the doghouse, you can get one from the first batch.  Those who do are out of luck this round, at least from where I ordered.

Matthew (OV)

Charlie Mutschler

Mine is on order - don't know about the 453's, because I ordered one with out the doghouse.  Cheerfully anticipating . . .

Charlie Mutschler
-30-