Bachmann 4-6-0 + Vanderbilt Tender + sound decoder

Started by NevinW, December 16, 2015, 09:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

I've got a Bachmann 4-6-0 that I have re-wired a Bachmann Vanderbilt tender to run behind it.  As with all Vanderbilt tenders, there isn't a ton of room in it.  I'd like to put a sound decoder in it along with one of these "keep-alive" capacitors.  Has anyone put sound into the Vanderbilt?  What decoder did you use?  Where did you put the speaker?  How did you get everything to fit?  Did you use a keep-alive type system?  Did you ditch the board and hard-wire it?  Thoughts?  Thanks.

electrical whiz kid

There are four Vandebilt tenders that I know Bachmann makes.  Which one are you referring to?   I have installed in Hicken tenders, and the smaller tenders.  My advice, if you are referring to smallest tenders is to use an "N" scale decoder, and then find your way around with the speaker.  I opted for installing ot in what turned out  to be the coal bunker.  I drill small holes all over the "coal pile", and then glue, then sprinkle some coal atop it, thus hiding the holes.  Installing the speaker:   I would suggest researching the different options you will have available.  Whatever you do, keep it neat-and simple.
Rich C. 

NevinW

To clarify, I'm talking about the HO Spectrum Vanderbilt tender that was sold separately for the 2-8-0.

Pacific Northern

I have a few of the 4-6-0 ten wheelers, both the 52" and 63" versions most are with the Bachmann sound board and the associated tenders, especially the one for the 52" engine are quite a bit smaller than the Vanderbuilt tender you intend to use.  The sound boards in those are all the full size boards as I remember.

Let us know how your conversion turned out, I intend to convert one of the ten wheelers to the small vandy tender myself.   
Pacific Northern

electrical whiz kid

You know; you guys have to think outside of the box at times.  Use an N-scale decoder/speaker.  They run at about a halfof an amp, so just be caeful with them.
Rich C.

NevinW

I was able to put a TCS Wow decoder with a Keep-alive capacitor into the Vanderbilt tender without too much modification except to lower the motherboard enough to get the decoder to fit on top of it.  It is crammed in there pretty tight.  With the Keep-alive, it really runs great.  Now to try with the 4-6-0. 

brokenrail

Soundtraxx has there new economi sound decoder that has some big sound and is a 1 amp decoder.They come with a good length of super flexible wire.Like to get a whole spool of that stuff.Anyway modern technology has also offered us a zimo sugar cube speaker that still surprises me how much more volume it gives ,but also has the best low end BASS sound quality then any other in a small package .1 is enough ,but 2 wired in series will be acceptable for the hard of hearing.
Johnny Adam

electrical whiz kid

Johnny;
Wire is generally marked with pertinent data every 24 inches.  Use a magnifier and look carefully.   I almost guarantee that, if someone is using it in product, that it is available to consumers.  To wit:  If you have enough money, everything is for sale.

Rich C. 

macbmac1

Hello everyone:

I have done some locomotive building for the Tonopah and Tidewater Historical Society, located in Death Valley Jct., CA.  They are currently building an HO scale model railroad replicating the T&TRR in the mid 1920's on the property of the Amargosa Opera House.  To model the Bullfrog Goldfield RR locomotives, which interchanged with the T&TRR, I use Bachmann's  tall 4-6-0 (63" drivers) coupled to an MDC / Roundhouse Vanderbilt tender, to which I added Tsunami TSU-1000 Medium Steam decoders and Railmaster Hobbies ported speakers.

I had a friend mill out the tender underframe, which I then drilled holes into to fire the speaker down toward the track (a typical install); I then installed the decoder.  Locomotive apron rests fine upon tender support, and the unit looks pretty decent as BGRR #11.  There should be some pics on the internet -- many folks visiting Death Valley stop by to take a look at the layout.  I can post a pic or 2 when I get back out to the junction and take some.  A pretty simple install now that I think about it. and loco sounds really nice.

Michael McAnally
Pahrump, NV

NevinW

Quote from: macbmac1 on January 07, 2016, 05:54:06 AM
Hello everyone:

I have done some locomotive building for the Tonopah and Tidewater Historical Society, located in Death Valley Jct., CA.  They are currently building an HO scale model railroad replicating the T&TRR in the mid 1920's on the property of the Amargosa Opera House.  To model the Bullfrog Goldfield RR locomotives, which interchanged with the T&TRR, I use Bachmann's  tall 4-6-0 (63" drivers) coupled to an MDC / Roundhouse Vanderbilt tender, to which I added Tsunami TSU-1000 Medium Steam decoders and Railmaster Hobbies ported speakers.

I had a friend mill out the tender underframe, which I then drilled holes into to fire the speaker down toward the track (a typical install); I then installed the decoder.  Locomotive apron rests fine upon tender support, and the unit looks pretty decent as BGRR #11.  There should be some pics on the internet -- many folks visiting Death Valley stop by to take a look at the layout.  I can post a pic or 2 when I get back out to the junction and take some.  A pretty simple install now that I think about it. and loco sounds really nice.

Michael McAnally
Pahrump, NV

Boy, do you and I need to talk!  Is there any way to send you a personal message?   

Nevin Wilson
Las Vegas, NV