Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recommendation for new Locomotive

Started by steelerfan500, December 16, 2015, 02:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdaskalos

Quote from: Mdaskalos on December 18, 2015, 02:12:53 PM
Quote from: jbrock27 on December 17, 2015, 08:15:23 PM
And oh, BTW,   J  -  E -  T -  S!   JETS!!   JETS!!   JETS!!

December swooners!! Might as well get ready - It's happening.

And (cueing up the cheesy trumpet, just like at Heinz Field): "Here we go, Steelers, Here we go!

*The last Steeler game I went to was actually at Three Rivers Stadium. One Charles Henry Noll was still the coach. They may have modernized their Steeler fight ditty since then. They were in fact trying to introduce a heavy metal fight song at the time; all of the Steeler fans in their right mind hated it and lit up the lines on the post game call-in show. You would have thought "Rock The House" was the name of a guy who threw six interceptions for the Steelers. Even Myron Cope threw some rocks at the idea.

And no, Brock, I'm referring to the long, sad history of the Jets, a fate unbroken since Namath played.

jbrock27

Well, were gonna see in the next 3 weeks or so, aren't we??

Three Rivers: sure, the Immaculate Reception (that never really was) comes to mind.... ::)

And how about that Super Bowl against the SEAHAWKS the refs gave to the STEELERS ???
Keep Calm and Carry On

Mdaskalos

Now, now! If we're to compare ignominious plays/games, a complete rundown would damage our friendship...Errrr: Dan Marino's "Fake Spike", the "Butt Fumble"...need I say more? I'll take ignominious victory over ignominious defeat any day.

If it weren't for Namath's one championship season, the only thing people would remember about Shea Stadium was that the the Beatles played there.

jbrock27

It's ok for you to dislike a team I like, no offense taken.  I find that STEELERS fans are alot like YANKEE fans, front runners...

Quote from: Mdaskalos on December 18, 2015, 02:40:11 PM
...the only thing people would remember about Shea Stadium was that the the Beatles played there.

Not so. The '69 METS, the '86 METS

The "butt fumble" never bothered me frankly, that could happen to anyone, just happened to happen to Sanchez who I have no beef with.  He was the QB in those 2 recent AFC Championship Games in Steel Town.  If in Jersey, maybe a different outcome(s)...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Mdaskalos

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 18, 2015, 02:46:32 PM
It's ok for you to dislike a team I like, no offense taken.  I find that STEELERS fans are alot like YANKEE fans, front runners...

Quote from: Mdaskalos on December 18, 2015, 02:40:11 PM
...the only thing people would remember about Shea Stadium was that the the Beatles played there.

Not so. The '69 METS, the '86 METS

The "butt fumble" never bothered me frankly, that could happen to anyone, just happened to happen to Sanchez who I have no beef with.  He was the QB in those 2 recent AFC Championship Games in Steel Town.  If in Jersey, maybe a different outcome(s)...

Oh, I don't dislike the jets. It's not like they're the Raiders or the Cowboys. Frontrunners??? Hey, I' ben'-a fan through  The Desert: Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mark Malone, Huey Richardson, Bubby Brister, Scott Campbell, Todd Blackledge, Cliff Stoudt, Tommy Maddox, Walter Abercrombie, Greg Hawthorne, etc.

But, back on topic; Sound, smoke, DCC, all have their place...it dpends upon usage and the target audience.

If the layout/loco are to impress small children, then sound and smoke take the cake. Hands down. If cleanup is an issue, scratch the smoke.

I went to a model railroad club open house back at thanksgiving. While I was there, one of the club members broke out the Winahhh and Undisputed Champion!!!: His one-day old Allegheny. From Somebody's Train House. Hadn't even broken it in at home yet. Put it on the rails, filled the smoke oil chamber, coupled it to a coal train and sent it on its maiden cruise... Authoritative articulated steam sound, better smoke than one might expect, and BAM!!! INSTANT STAR OF THE SHOW.

I built a layout and selected the train for my in-laws. I knew it was going to be under a desktop Christmas tree in the same room they watch TV in. So, a quiet operator - no sound, and being under the tree in a fashionable room - no smoke.

Sometimes DCC might even be the ideal control mode for small layouts. Have only one siding? You can control two trains, park one on a siding and switch 'em around without having to remove and replace, or set up power blocks.

What's best? Consider the audience and environment for the answer.

jbrock27

Quote from: Mdaskalos on December 18, 2015, 03:10:38 PM
Hey, I' ben'-a fan through  The Desert: Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mark Malone, Huey Richardson, Bubby Brister, Scott Campbell, Todd Blackledge, Cliff Stoudt, Tommy Maddox, Walter Abercrombie, Greg Hawthorne, etc.
What's to "woe is me" about??  Not all these guys were bums; O'Donnell took you to a Super Bowl, then was later signed by the JETS... :D

Sometimes DCC might even be the ideal control mode for small layouts. Have only one siding? You can control two trains, park one on a siding and switch 'em around without having to remove and replace, or set up power blocks.

I say the opposite.  If that is the case (small layout/1 siding) no reason to spend the extra $$ on DCC, unless you really love, need to have, sound.  Bc you can accomplish the same thing, controlling 2 trains with Common Rail DC wiring and blocks and 2 power packs/controllers.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 18, 2015, 03:18:42 PM

I say the opposite.  If that is the case (small layout/1 siding) no reason to spend the extra $$ on DCC, unless you really love, need to have, sound.  Bc you can accomplish the same thing, controlling 2 trains with Common Rail DC wiring and blocks and 2 power packs/controllers.

I'm 'siding' with Mdaskalos on this one.

I spent the extra money for DCC because I wanted a double reverse loop layout without having to build my own relays.

The fact that I can park extra trains on a siding without needing separate controls to activate them is a bonus.

jbrock27

Quote from: Flare on December 18, 2015, 03:59:26 PM

It's not like it's a contest or pick up game of basketball, bro.  It is just a matter of opinions and what works or doesn't work for what people want or need.  The important thing is to give opinions and facts so people can make their own choices.  Don't see anyone here saying their way is the only way or best way for everyone; just things to consider that some might not otherwise think about considering.

*When you say you did not want to build your own relays, do you mean wiring up a DPDT throw switch, which in DC, can get you a reverse loop?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

I spent the extra money for DCC because I wanted a double reverse loop layout without having to build my own relays.

The fact that I can park extra trains on a siding without needing separate controls to activate them is a bonus.

FlareGun, you changing your opinion here, bc here is what you first said here:

Quote from: Flare on December 16, 2015, 03:57:27 PM
...DCC is expensive and meant for simplifying control of multiple trains on a large layout.  Unless you plan to upgrade your tree loop to something complex, DCC equipment is unnecessary.

...I'm confused ??? ???
Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 18, 2015, 04:50:29 PM

FlareGun, you changing your opinion here, bc here is what you first said here:

Quote from: Flare on December 16, 2015, 03:57:27 PM
...DCC is expensive and meant for simplifying control of multiple trains on a large layout.  Unless you plan to upgrade your tree loop to something complex, DCC equipment is unnecessary.

...I'm confused ??? ???

No, my opinion stands.  DCC decoders and controllers are more expensive than their DC counterparts, and completely unnecessary for a loop layout that only runs one train.

jbrock27

So then why'd you say this following saying that:

???
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

How about the question on the DPDT switch?  Was that was you meant by not wanting to build your own relay?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 18, 2015, 05:17:59 PM
So then why'd you say this following saying that:

???

Because DC is the less expensive option when only running one train on a simple oval of track.

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 18, 2015, 05:23:21 PM
How about the question on the DPDT switch?  Was that was you meant by not wanting to build your own relay?

Yes, I'm not electronically versed nor good with a soldering iron, so a pre-made module that does the same thing while allowing me to operate other trains on sidings was very appealing.

jbrock27

Quote from: Flare on December 18, 2015, 05:42:36 PM
Yes, I'm not electronically versed nor good with a soldering iron, so a pre-made module that does the same thing while allowing me to operate other trains on sidings was very appealing.

Ok, I get that, but not this...

Quote from: Flare on December 18, 2015, 05:40:23 PM
Because DC is the less expensive option when only running one train on a simple oval of track.

...that's hardly true.  It's a less expensive option when doing a lot more than just that.
Keep Calm and Carry On