News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Undecorated models

Started by brokenrail, December 17, 2015, 03:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenrail

I have noticed that in the past Bachmann made undercorated model locomotives for almost every model available in the past in there diesel line up .Now I  have not seen any produced.Is this something that is gone for good, or do they plan more in the future ?
Johnny

electrical whiz kid

jbrock27

This came up for discussion several years ago. 

The Bachmann response was not enough $$ to be had in the sales of and production and marketing of undecorated locos.  Sorry brokenail  :'(
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

Johnny are you are thinking about "painted unlettered" 

jbrock27

Did you guys really miss Rich's tongue in cheek question about what an undercoated loco is ??? :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Bless me, Fr. brock, the devil made me do it...

Rich C.

jbrock27

No blessing needed, you got a laugh out of me when I read it Rich! :D
I guess not everyone shares the same sense of humor...
Keep Calm and Carry On

wjstix

Quote from: Hunt on December 17, 2015, 02:23:28 PM

Johnny are you are thinking about "painted unlettered" 

Bachmann has offers at least some of their steam engines "painted / unlettered", and a few of their diesels. However those of us modeling a free-lanced railroad like to get undecorated gray plastic diesels, so we can paint and letter them for our own railroad. Bachmann doesn't offer undecorated versions, at least rarely if ever.

ACY

Quote from: wjstix on December 18, 2015, 01:33:41 PM
Bachmann has offers at least some of their steam engines "painted / unlettered", and a few of their diesels. However those of us modeling a free-lanced railroad like to get undecorated gray plastic diesels, so we can paint and letter them for our own railroad. Bachmann doesn't offer undecorated versions, at least rarely if ever.
This is false, Bachmann has offered over the years a good amount of undecorated models but has not produced them as much recently because sales of those models has dictated that their production can not be justified.

electrical whiz kid

ACY; you are correc-it from correcticus! 
Bachmann, as well as others, not to be left out of a rather lucrative segment of this market, did, indeed, offer "painted/unletteed'.  Now, did they offer 'unpainted', I don't offhand remember.

Rich C.

jbrock27

Yes they did.  I have come across Spectrum diesel ones on EBay.
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

I remember also the Spectrum Ge dash 8-40 cw came in a undercoated version and included 3 different cab versions.This had to be in the 90's .They should set aside a few to cater to the few .Its model railroading!Saves a lot of hassle tearing down and stripping paint with chemicals.Is anybody selling undercoated anymore??Athearn is the only one .They are few and far between.Still a few.
Johnny

jbrock27

Yes.  You can find Atlas, ConCor and Kato undecorated diesel locos for sure.  J.A., you're beginning to make me wonder now, do you really mean to say undercoated ???

And keep in mind, you can always strip and repaint an already painted loco.  I like to use 90% alcohol in a zip loc bag to do that (strip the paint that is).
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

un -decorated .Blame it on the computer.Thanks for the refresher.I had a Rivarossi Passenger car I had to strip down and tried using brake fluid,The alcohol method you mentioned and it was impenetrable compared to everything else that normally takes from a few hours or overnight took a week of harsh scrubbing to almost get it all off.What ever paint process they used has to be the strongest I have seen to date.You ever run
across that?
Johnny Adam