News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Undecorated models

Started by brokenrail, December 17, 2015, 03:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Trainman;
The inside track is what runs just about any business, and what runs the inside track is dinero.

All in all, I consider Bachmann about the finest equipment-for the money-available to the hobbyist; it is inexpensive, straightforward, and easy to up-grade, add appliances to, etc.  Of course, we, approach this hobby from different  corners, but the supplier is going largely on sales and the profit to back them up.  IN my business as an electrician, I evolved into a service type facility.  I enjoy troubleshooting, repairing and modification of equipment, and like the aspect of being mobile daily.  It happens that I make a comfortable living at it.  Most businesses, to a greater or lesser extant, operate by the same set of mechanics.
I might be inclined to debate Yardmaster on a couple of aspects; if there wasn't a steady demand for parts, the dept. might not function on the same way; hence the painted "unlettered" or "undec" parts like tenders.  All in all, I am satisfied with Bachmann.

Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: doctorwayne on December 25, 2015, 03:11:47 PM
I have ten Bachmann steam locomotives (8 Consolidations, 1 Light USRA Mountain, and 1 USRA 2-6-6-2)  All were bought as painted but unlettered models, and I've also bought a number of USRA tenders, both regular and long versions, and all were unlettered.  I'm very glad that such an option was available, but am no longer in need of further locomotives, so hopefully that will leave a few more available for those who like to paint and decorate their own.  ;D

Wayne

Same with me when it comes to Bachmann undecs.

I have five 2-8-0s, three 2-10-0s, three light 2-8-4s, two heavy 2-8-4s, two low driver 4-6-0s and two high driver 4-6-0s all undec.

In addition I have another 2-8-0 that came letter (second hand) and two 2-6-0s.  I know one of the 2-6-0s came lettered as I sent in one of my painted and detailed 2-6-0s for repair with a request that it be returned and not replaced but they just replaced it and the other, I don't recall whether it was an undec or not.

In addition,  I have two Athearn 4-6-2s, two Athearn 2-8-2s, one P2K 0-6-0 and one P2K 0-8-0, all of which were undecs.

When it comes to my freight diesels, I prefer undecs but if none are avaiable, then units in a basic black with simple lettering are prefered.  Something the lettering is simple to remove.

So as you can tell, I'm a big fan of the "Undec Railroad".  :)  

Passenger engines need to be in Canadian Pacific block letter.  I remove the Canadian Pacific and replace it with my own road name.  Simple way to get a fancy passenger scheme.

Merry Christmas.

Roger T.

brokenrail

Quote from: James in FL on December 20, 2015, 03:16:13 PM
QuoteThe older Bachmann models would release the lettering with some good sticky tape. Referring to the
Spectrum/Plus series years.These new models seem to have a top coat of some type that seals them in ,so the old method of tape and or eraser does not do it.Any ideas ?

For removing lettering/numbering without damaging underlying paint, look here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gf7xqIHGMQ

This works for me. Your mileage may vary.
Good luck.

Thank You !

jbrock27

Add Mantua (at least diesels anyway) to the list of undecorateds.
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Pacific Northern

I have over three dozen Bachmann Spectrum steam engines.  The majority of these are 4-6-0's and 4-4-0's, a couple of each of the 2-8-0's, 2-10-0's, 4-8-2's both light and heavy versions as well as two 2-6-6-2's these were all bought as painted but undecorated models, I also have three 2-10-2's of which were lettered in the CNR livery and I kept them as such.

It sure seems that at least on this forum there is interest in painted but undecorated steam engines.
Pacific Northern

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 17, 2015, 11:36:19 AM
This came up for discussion several years ago. 

The Bachmann response was not enough $$ to be had in the sales of and production and marketing of undecorated locos.  Sorry brokenail  :'(
Most who purchase undecorated models want to start out with as accurate of a shell as possible.The past models had too many inaccuracy's compared to many out today that are much better.May be a good reason why they did not sell.

electrical whiz kid

Broken Rail;
I had posted earlier with regards to the logistics faced by a company such as Bachmann.  I can accept that what they do for the most part, is a generalization of a specific wheel arrangement.  If I want to pursue a specific product, I will use the otherwise fine-running model that is close.  It is when they start getting prototype specific that prices will, like brass, become high, or they will just discontinue this endeavor.   
Before Proto/Lifelike got picked up by Walthers-and they might still-they had a line of foam containers, such as coolers.  I would not be too surprised to discover that Bachmann was involved with the same type of approach.  We do what we must in order to accomplish what we love.
RIch C.

jbrock27

Quote from: brokenrail on January 03, 2016, 06:02:15 AM
Most who purchase undecorated models want to start out with as accurate of a shell as possible.The past models had too many inaccuracy's compared to many out today that are much better.May be a good reason why they did not sell.

I don't know, you'd have to talk to Mr. Bachmann about that.  
But if your theory was correct, there would be a lot more unsold models out there, both undecorated and decorated.
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 03, 2016, 10:13:06 AM
Broken Rail;
I had posted earlier with regards to the logistics faced by a company such as Bachmann.  I can accept that what they do for the most part, is a generalization of a specific wheel arrangement.  If I want to pursue a specific product, I will use the otherwise fine-running model that is close.  It is when they start getting prototype specific that prices will, like brass, become high, or they will just discontinue this endeavor.   
Before Proto/Lifelike got picked up by Walthers-and they might still-they had a line of foam containers, such as coolers.  I would not be too surprised to discover that Bachmann was involved with the same type of approach.  We do what we must in order to accomplish what we love.
RIch C.
Rich, Great honest comment without bias .Got those rails in your blood too.
Johnny